AT 4041 against SP C4

Well, the AT4041 isn't a real bright or dark mic either. The C4 has different characteristics between the two capsules as you're well aware. The AT has a little more "bite" to it but you're not going to experience what I would consider to be a world of difference.

They're both good mics. I like the AT4041 better on acoustic guitar but maybe that's just me.

War

Warhead said:
Well, the AT4041 isn't a real bright or dark mic either. The C4 has different characteristics between the two capsules as you're well aware. The AT has a little more "bite" to it but you're not going to experience what I would consider to be a world of difference.

They're both good mics. I like the AT4041 better on acoustic guitar but maybe that's just me.

War
What about the AT4051 ? Is it worth the higher price IYO-sound/build-wise over the c4's or the 4041's ? I found a place selling the 4051's cheaper than most...just curious...thanx.

hognogger said:
I have a chance to get an AT 4041 at a good price. Just wondering how it would stack up against my Studio Projects C4, which I'm reasonably happy with.

I too, really like the 4041 on acoustic guitars. I use a pair, one in front of the instrument and one from over the right shoulder of the player. Each on to it's own track then panned. Creates a nice lush texture.

My 2¢

I use oktava mk012's. Have used and liked the AT's. Have not tried the c4's but I am leaning more toward shures as my next acquisition ( or maybe peluso if I get a Dot report soon.) I think if you find a sdc that you like and you can use you're fine. Unless you are doing solo acoustic stuff, I think, at least at my level, ant difference would be negligible and probably lost in the mix anyway. In other words, we are blesseed to have these choices and there is no wrong answer.

Back