At 4033

fretmeister

It seems the AT 4033 was one of the first entry level quality LD condenser mics. How does it rate compared to the new even lower cost mics available now?

I have a 4033 and some of the singers I record will not let me put another mic in front of them. It is colored but that often translates to flattering. My stepson bought my 2nd one because his voice sounds better on it than on anything else. I recently got a RODE NT1000 which is more forward, and I think between the two I can get a lot of action. I will be buying better mics as I go along but the 4033 will always have a home here.

I actually like my AT3035 better on most things, vocals included. The AT4033 has a upper mid bump that can sound pretty crappy on many voices but kicks butt on many guitar amps.

The AT3035 is more all purpose and easier to get a good sound with. The AT4033 is a good acoustic guitar mic also though, where the AT3035 isn't that hot in that app.

War

I have a pair of 4033's..Good on elec guitars..good on acoustics..Ok on overheads{have other mics I prefere}..I have had some good luck with some vocalist with 'em too.As for how it rates with the other lower cost mics..I don't know!Listen to one and decide :)

fretmeister said:
It seems the AT 4033 was one of the first entry level quality LD condenser mics. How does it rate compared to the new even lower cost mics available now?

It's still a significant step up from most of the newer, lower-cost models you mention.

It's kind of like an sm57 of condensers. Every studio should have one . . . or several.

fretmeister said:
It's not a LD condenser mic - the diaphragm is only 5/8" across, making it more of a SD mic.

I've heard that it tends to do better on a quality analog setup vs. most digital
due to the smoothing out of some response peaks. Same goes for AKG 414 B/ULS. Alan Parsons is a fan of the 4033 BTW.

Chris

Henri Devill said:
I have a pair of 4033's..Good on elec guitars..good on acoustics..Ok on overheads{have other mics I prefere}..I have had some good luck with some vocalist with 'em too.As for how it rates with the other lower cost mics..I don't know!Listen to one and decide :)
Same here.

At 4033 Cl

Thanks for your replies.
Is the current model AT 4033 CL the same as my older model 4033a? I thought the 4033 had been discontinued and replaced with the 4040, but I see the new 4033 CL going for $399. The 4040 is $299. (I noticed that on the AT website, the 4033 is not listed as a large diaphragm).

The new 4033 mics are the same as the old ones. Their street price back then was around $350. When they discontinues them, their popularity soared so they brought them back.
As far as diaphram size, it's a 5/8" so that makes it a mid sized, not large.

Since I own a 4033 and a pair of quality SD condensers, what would be a good "next mic," especially for vocals. I know its best to try them out, but not practical for me. My preamps are RNP and Mackie VLZ Pro.

Back