AT-4033 vs. Rode NT1

Thanks all. I wish I had a way to audition those ribbon mics or those Russian condensers. The ribbon guys had a really slick website in any case. It's not just for recording me. I got hooked up with a local jazz guitarist that has yet to be recorded that can play on the level of Joe Pass or George Van Eps. This is an artist for whom I'd be willing to tear down and rebuild my digital setup just to capture his stuff direct to digital. And I'm sure a great microphone or two amd some nice pres will be key components along the way.

Man, if you're gonna be recording a really nice sounding jazz combo tube guitar amp and can afford it, go for the Royer. If the Royer is way too expensive, maybe look at one of the Beyer ribbons around $600US. As far as budget mics go, you're probably best off with an Oktava MC319 from The Sound Room only for a nice sounding jazz combo tube guitar amp.

As far as testing out an Oktava from The Sound Room, Taylor Johnson's policy is it can't be returned any time BEFORE 20 days after the purchase. This will give you time to really test it out. He encourages you to compare it to other mics (in and out of its price range) at local music stores.

I've said before...

Budget large diaphragm condenser mics; favorite(s) at the top:

* Depending on the application and budget; another words (in no particular order) AT 4047, Oktava MC319 (from The sound Room only), and Rode NT-2

* AT 4050 & AT 4033

* Rode NT-1

* AKG C3000

Man, you crack me up... I love that word 'Budget' you stick in there. Hee, hee. I know, I know... I'm new to all this stuff... hoo boy. (dobro wipes tears of laughter from his eye).

So what about these alesis/Gt mics? I auditioned one at Mars (I can't remember the exact model number, it was a small diaphragm) Are these mics new to the market? I haden't seen one before. I listened to it and was pleasently suprised.

I found an ad in Recording magazine and the model I listened to was an AM51. It's actually a large diaphragm condensor. Also does any one know any thing about Peavy tube mics?

Thank's for the info guys.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the AT-4033.

The problem is, I bought a pair of Tannoy Reveal monitors (their great!) Sat, so it'll probably be awhile till I can talk the wife into letting me get the mic! The way things are going, maybe the price will be down below $200 by then!?

I'm also thinking about getting an NT1, but this talk about the oktava mc319 has intrigued me. But looking at the 40-16k frequency range, I can't help but wonder if this limited range is gonna limit my recordings.

Ahhh yes... Another one fooled by the 40-16k frequency response. HaHaHaHa

I admit if it's the now 'a days standard of high-end exaggeration (which is not a bad thing if you're looking for that) that you're looking for, this is not the mic for you.

However. People who have bought Oktava MC-319s from The Sound Room have been known to inform me that they felt the MC-319 didn't lack high-end all; it's just not exaggerated.

On a completely different scale (price and quality), it's like comparing a U87 and a U89. Better? Nah. Generally better for a general application just to make selection a little easier? Yeah. Though it seems to confuse me more.

Back