AT 3525, MArshall 2001 ????

zumdiggidy

These are both decently priced..
THe Marshall looks much more solid, but reviews say it's noisier (20db)..
The 3525 has a high input capacity (150) which is good for overcoming overloads..and lower noise than the Marshall... and lower sensitivity (3.9mv)
(good for dorm recording???
Is the 3525 crap or is it nice??????
Is it as good as it seems, despite the cheap look? wOuld the marhsall be too sensitive for a dorm room (15mv)?

help me
I SEARCHED ALLREADY- NO ANSWERS
HELP PLEASE
or email me!
mzumchak@ic.sunysb.edu

If your concerned about noise in the dorms, basically any condensor mic will pick up some of the noise- i doubt that you will be displeased with either of these mics (I almost got the Marshall but decided of the RODENT1) The Rode sounds awsome, but it is pretty sensitive to back ground noise. It seems like your going to have to sacrifice something here, If some idiot is running through the halls of the dorm and yells out "Kappa Sig rules" or something right when you hit the record button- nothings gonna save you.

I have the Marshall--my first condensor and I am pretty impressed. It does make me wonder what those really expensive mics must sound like because this mic was as different from a dynamic mic as Star Wars special effects are to those in the original Star Trek series (nice analogy, huh). I think that it is very crisp sounding and the self noise isn't that terrible. If you set it a little low on the preamp gain (just a little) it allows for less pickup of background noise. But, as for foot steps and doors opening and closing--forget it. A large condensor will pick that stuff up in a heartbeat. But the Marshall is a cardoid mic, meaning that it records basically what is in front of it. Whatever you get, make sure it is not only omnidirectional--those are meant to pick up everthing AROUND the mic and should be used in isolation rooms only. Hope that helps, I don't anything about the AT other than I have used AT mics and like them.

Peace, Jim

I have used both the Rode NT1 and the AT 3525.

The Rode is a little more sensitive and a bit clearer on the high end to my ears, but I got the Audio technica for about 1/2 the price of the Rode! I will most likely buy another AT 3525 for a stereo pair..It is wonderful for guitars and Vocals. The shock mount is very cool also...

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Dom,I'm considering both of those mics,My main use for it would be as follows, in this priority.1 as a overhead/room, 2 vocals,3guitar. I have a shure 4.1 small condensor and have money in my budget for only one large diaphrahm.Your help is much appreciated, Rob

Dom, From your post it sounds like both compliment each other,What I'm asking is given my wants,and if you had to pick one..

Back