Asus/AMD users, I need your help!

thehorseshoe

You are going to be the final say in what I upgrade to. I need to know the difference in mobos and what you suggest. I m running Cubase 5.1, Wavelab 3.0, and a US-428 TASCAM DAW via USB cable. What is the difference between the a7a266 Ali Magik 1 and the a7a266 Ali M1647&M1535 D+ ? Is there a difference? Please help. I cannot find the answers ANYWHERE! Also, I am seeing the a7m266 with the AMD 761 c/s and tha a7v266 with the via KT266 c/s. I have narrowed it down to 4 options. Thanks so much!

i'd go with the a7m... that is what i am using with my XP 1800+... flawless. great mobo. don't go with ali magik or via chipsets, they're HELL!

Lucid, are you running your bus at 133? I'm having all kinds of stability probs with an xp1900+ at 133. It will only run stable at 100 wich locks the processor at 1.2G. I cranked up the memory voltage to 2.9 (crucial 512 ddr) and I get past the startup but once I start doing some heavy lifting it freezes. The CPU meter only hits like 20 and the disk meter doesn't even move!

Make sure that the northbridge fan is operating properly if you can't do 133. Asus has had problems with cheap ass northbridge fans.

Slackmaster 2000

thanks for the tip! i'll check it out. is there a chipset cooler that you reccomend? Looks like vantec and Thermaltake are the only options that I see.

It sort of depends. On our revision of the K7V133 the northbridge fan is totally non-standard, although it *is* just a little 30mm fan (e.g. 486 size) so it *could* have been standard. The problem is the heatsink and mechanism with which the heatsink and fan are attached to the chip itself. On our board, you can't simply stick a new 30mm fan on there, and I didn't look at it long enough to determine if I could completely and easily replace the entire heatsink/fan combo. Luckily I was simply able to put a drop of oil on the bearing (sleve..ick) and the fan is now working nicely enough.

Slackmaster 2000

Back