Assistance needed: old tube amp electronics:

jrxjbb.jpg

I have acquired this simple old amp, and I know nothing of the electronics. There is a small tube behind the 6L6 tube on the right; otherwise, what you see is about all there is. So, apart from the tubes themselves, what are those component thingies?
Thank you.

I'm no electrician or amp expert, but it looks to me that you got from left to right a power transformer, a rectifier or phase inverter tube under the shield maybe? The output transformer between the two power tubes, and the little tubes are preamp tube.

So what kind of amp is that?

It's a Garnet, made by the late Gar Gillies of Winnipeg, the guy who made the original amps which the Guess Who used (American Woman era.) This unit is smaller, 35 watts.

Does it work?
I bet it is a good sounding amp. 6L6 Driven amps usually have outstanding clean tones.

Does it work?
I bet it is a good sounding amp. 6L6 Driven amps usually have outstanding clean tones.

Yes, the tone is good at any volume.

There are 4 tubes: POWER TUBES 2: MESA 6L6 GC STR 420, marked:28 MP GRY
PRE AMP TUBES: 1: MESA 7025 STR 12AX7 & 1 Groove Tube AU7

Someone who saw a schematic for it said that there were originally two AU7 tubes in it, but someone must have replaced one with a 12AX7 to give it more gain. I'm going to have it retubed very soon so I have to decide whether to revert to the original or use the types that are in there now. Then there's the matter of which brands and all..............

I'd get the tubes tested before you buy new ones. Chances are, they're still good since the amp doesn't look like it's had a lot of use.

Back