Assembling a new computer

Decay

I'm planning on assembling a new computer, and being rather ignorant on the subject, I'm going to need a lot of advice as to what components and parts I should go for.

First of, I'm running Cubase SE3 and will mainly be recording 1 or 2 tracks simultaneously - however, I would like to have the opportunity to record several tracks at once, should the need arise.

I don't wish to feel restricted when it comes to the number of channels I'm able to work with, and typically I use a quite a few plugins.

Naturally, I also want the computer to be fairly quiet.

I don't need advise on monitor, mouse, keyboard and other peripherals - that's already sorted.

As far as budget is concerned, I'm a little unsure, but let's try and keep under 1000$.

By the way, the system must be based around a shuttle (those neat little cabinets/boxes) and is to be used with a Motu Ultralite.

As stated earlier, I'm fairly ignorant on the subject, so please use simple terms and explain your recommendations. Go ahead, spend my money!

thanks

Decay said:
I'm planning on assembling a new computer, and being rather ignorant on the subject, I'm going to need a lot of advice as to what components and parts I should go for.

First of, I'm running Cubase SE3 and will mainly be recording 1 or 2 tracks simultaneously - however, I would like to have the opportunity to record several tracks at once, should the need arise.

I don't wish to feel restricted when it comes to the number of channels I'm able to work with, and typically I use a quite a few plugins.

Naturally, I also want the computer to be fairly quiet.

I don't need advise on monitor, mouse, keyboard and other peripherals - that's already sorted.

As far as budget is concerned, I'm a little unsure, but let's try and keep under 1000$.

By the way, the system must be based around a shuttle (those neat little cabinets/boxes) and is to be used with a Motu Ultralite.

As stated earlier, I'm fairly ignorant on the subject, so please use simple terms and explain your recommendations. Go ahead, spend my money!

thanks

Send it to me and I'll gladly spend it! What's your current system specs?

I'm currently using an older Dell. P4 2.4 Ghz, 1024 Ram, 80 GB harddrive. It has proven to be an allright computer, but I'll be moving soon and opt for a smaller, semi-portable solution - hence the shuttle.

at this point, I would look at a core duo based system.

A) It runs cool (fan noise minimized)
B) It's ruthless fast (SOS did a write up one the Apple Core Duo and found it could keep up with a dual G5)
C) Reasonably priced (the most expensive one is $500)

Ok, what type of processors would you recommend, then? AMD or Intel? What specific models?

The barebone Shuttle XPC SD31P supports dual core processors as far as I understand. Any other viable alternatives out there?

Do you have a preference as far as AMD or Intel? Since Cubase utilizes multiprocessing ( it can distribute the work load across multiple processors) you may want to look into dual cores processors. Intel has the cheaper entry level dual core for under $200. I built my pc last year in August and already its out dated and that same PC I could build today for $300 less. As a rule of thumb always look into the high end of stuff that’s behind the current up to date technology. You’ll find that performance is not too far off but you’ll pay a lot less. In other words don’t get the newest or just released gadgets and gizmos.
You wanted a shuttle right? That may govern the type of motherboard you can get. It will probably fit a micro ATX board.(ATX is a size standard and screw hole location on the board). This small case will not allow much expansion so make sure you get a board that has all the necessary ports you need like fire, network, modem….
Your graphics card is also important. If your not into gaming then you may want to look into the fan-less cards and if you will be using dual monitors screens or are considering on using dual monitor then get a card that has dual out. But here’s basically what to look for.

Hard drive: SATA 150. At least two; one for windows and one for audio files. I prefer SEAGATE brand
Motherboard: micro-atx. I prefer AUSU. Its not the cheapest but a good board. also stay away from those very cheap boards that are like $30.
Processor: well it’s either AMD or Intel. Dual core preferred but single core will do make sure the socket size will allow you to upgrade in the future. I have a 3800X2 and its great. It is said that AMD runs cooler than Intel and therefore slower fan speed translates to lower fan noise.
Power supply: now don’t go cheap on this. I like ANTEC. I think and Antec 430 watt PSU goes for like $60. again the smaller case may govern the PSU size. You may need to get the smaller unit (actual size) which costs more.
Memory: at least 1gig of memory. More is better. At least DDR 3200 memory type. Higher is better but the motherboard will determine how fast of memory you can get. Check the manufacturers site of the board you chose on the type. Try to get the single stick of 1 gig as appose to two 512 memory modules. Getting one is cheaper than two, faster, and you can upgrade with out having to sacrifice one of the modules.

Well that’s just some of the basics. Building your own PC is not necessarily the cheaper option but it’s more reliable than those $300 Dell’s. why do you think their warranty is 90 days. Also stay away from those super cheap components. Like no name brands or unheard of brands. Its better to have a reliable system than a cheap one. Some people like Ebay but I don’t. I cant seem to win anything used that’s at least less than half of its value when bought new. For example; I would not buy a used graphics card for $90 when I can buy it brand new for $100. I would spend the extra knowing I have a year of warranty. Some people on ebay need to get a life and get out more often.

Do some research at Tom's Hardware. You'll find everything you need to know. Order from newegg.com and mwave.com. Almost always the cheapest.

Also, your Dell has plenty of juice to complete any project. I would hang onto it and invest on a mic and a pre and so on. I think you should get as much milage out of a computer as possible - they are simply an expense that gets outdated the minute you buy it. That $1000 mic, though. Have fun with that sucker till you drop over. Etc.

If you are intent on building a new box, don't skimp on the case. I did and I regret it. A very quiet case makes all the difference and generally you pay more cash for those. Also, buy the best heatsinks, fans and power supply. Here's a good resource for quiet stuff:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I will consider the different alternatives for a while before I decide. One question, though: what is the immediate benefit of having to harddrives as opposed to one?

harddrives can only do one thing at a time, so having a work drive for samples,audio files, and so forth allows faster access to those files without the OS interupting streams for normal operation (swap file usage and so on)

Dimension E510
Award Winning PC
Voted "Best of the Year 2005" by PC Magazine
E510 has more than 3x the graphics performance3 of E310 for great games, movies and video.
Surround Sound options for your music and games