ASR users.....

BigLex

Basic question- how does this thing work? I've been reading up on it a lot lately, and my understanding is that you create your own patches on it by sampling, use its wide array of effects to modify its sound, which can be used to create melodies, chords, lines, etc.. am I correct?

If so, how effective is this process? If you sample a sound, create a patch out of it, does it sound bad when played more than a few tones away in either direction? Does the length of the sample change when doing this (like it does in Reason for example)?

Considering copping the rack version.. I've already got keys and dont have room for any more right now.. I like the idea of being able to create your own patches and being able to create melodies on them... the price is also rather affordable to me right now, altho theres some other essentials I need (monitors, sound card, mic, bass amp, hardware sequencer, if I cant get around to learning/tolerating comp. sequencers, which I havent been able to so far).

i've got the ASR-X pro and i love it. i bought the urban dance card or whatever it was called.

this thing has hella drum samples and synth patches before you start throwing samples in.

the fx and filters are great, the pre-fab sounds are amazing, and the sampling ability is guite good. you can even re-sample the pre-fab beats into a new RAM-patch and tweak the sounds even further.

the only bad thing about the unit is the sequencer. if you have an external sequencer then you'll have no problems.

I owned an asr-10.

I sold the asr-10.

To me, it was slow, finding parts when something goes wrong gets expensive, and since there is no longer support for the ASR serious by ensoniq it's a real pain in the ass.

Those were the reasons I sold my asr-10. The actual board is dope, rza used it... alchemist still uses it... so the shit ain't weak if you know what you doing.

If you do not map your sampled sounds it will sound exactly like fruity loops. The lower the pitch you go on the same sample, the more fucked up it sounds. If you actually map sounds so every third key its an actual piano sample ... then going down in pitch won't be so bad.

To be honest I never really learned the board to well. It has a small ass calculator screen and I had it when I first started getting serious. Once I got more funds, I bought a triton and sold the ASR-10. The triton is a sampler, bigger lcd, and has its own sounds and onboard efx are kind of dope. So I wasn't staying retro cause alchemist grew up with the asr-10, I didn't.

If you want to learn a board go for it, might use it for the rest of your life. If you want to save up for something else .. do it. Some of those old boards the backpackers love to work with ... really are outdated.

To me, it was slow, finding parts when something goes wrong gets expensive, and since there is no longer support for the ASR serious by ensoniq it's a real pain in the ass.

Those were the reasons I sold my asr-10. The actual board is dope, rza used it... alchemist still uses it... so the shit ain't weak if you know what you doing.

Thats what I've heard from many unfortuneatly.. like a love/hate relationship... and just hope nothing ever goes wrong with it that needs support from ensoniq

If you do not map your sampled sounds it will sound exactly like fruity loops. The lower the pitch you go on the same sample, the more fucked up it sounds. If you actually map sounds so every third key its an actual piano sample ... then going down in pitch won't be so bad.

About keymapping.. how do you go about mapping correctly, so it doesnt sound bad the further you move away from the original sample's pitch? You do that with timestretch?

sold the ASR-10. The triton is a sampler, bigger lcd, and has its own sounds and onboard efx are kind of dope. So I wasn't staying retro cause alchemist grew up with the asr-10, I didn't.

The Triton is one of my possible next purchases (along with the ASR, Motif, RS7000, or MPC).. I did straight keyboard beats on my Roland for a few years, and have just recently gotten into sampling, using Reason... Using the mouse so much, editing samples, sequences, etc, is rather uncomfortable on my hands tho, so I would like to get a dedicated machine sometime...... about the Triton tho, several people have told me that it isnt as good for sampling as something like an MPC or ASR... does this have any truth to it? Getting either the Motif or Triton would be nice if their samplers work good, since I play some keys and like working with preset sounds as well as samples.. but I really dont have the room right now for another board.. I would like them 88 keys on the Motif, but that will have to wait... but the Triton rack is a possilbity, plus its a few bucks cheaper than the one w/ keys.... you know of any disadvantages of the rack version, other than the lack of touch screen?

thanks for the info..

BigLex said:
About keymapping.. how do you go about mapping correctly, so it doesnt sound bad the further you move away from the original sample's pitch? You do that with timestretch?

Hell no! Time compression/expansion takes forever and a day with the ARS10........ If you want the end result to sound good. Then you can't do anything else with the board until it's done with the job.

Don't get me wrong, I love this board, I started making beats with it and it's been almost ten years, my brother passed it down to me. I learned with a seperate sequencer so I don't really use the on-board sequencer, my sister loves it though. My brother also increased the memory so I can take larger samples... don't ask me how.

About keymapping, I don't know how to explain it exactly cause I lost the manual (damn damn damn!)
But what I do is just like Rockwell; you can create many different wavesamples within one sound, the average factory ASR sound has about 7 wave sample in it. Whatever sound you are sampling, sample it again at a higher key and make the root key a higher one, maybe three to seven keys higher than the last one you did, keep going until you reach the end of the board. That way the degradation in the accuracy of the sound will be much less, if noticeable at all. I wish I had figured that out a few years back.:(

I hope I didn't confuse you, as I said, I can't explain it too well.

Back