Asking for a miracle.

Alejo

I am going to give you some reasons I should be kicked off from this respectable forum:

1- So far I have a Shure PG48, kind of karaoke model, as my only and reliable microphone.

2- I sing like the witch in the Wizard of Oz. I never go out of tune though.

3- I have absolutely no idea about microphones.

If you are still there, may be you can tell me what can I do with this. I mean what kind of "patch" I could use to improve my poor vocal sound.

I use Cubase SX. May be you use some of its plug-ins regurarely for voice recording. My mixer is a pretty nice thing (it does what it has to do), but I cannot get good results with it. My sound card is a Delta 2496.

May be there is a software used for voice recording that I could try. My idea is to search for the clearest sound I am able to produce, and use it as default on my recordings.

I promise that if I get reasonable results I will get so motivated that I will buy a good mic. In that case I will come back to this forum again for advice.

Txs a lot,

Alejo.

Your vox recording is poor in what way? What do you want different? It depends on that.

Generally speaking, you can try things like compression, EQ and reverb or quarer note delay on your vocals. You can do these via plug-in, and there are plenty of notes on the web on what settings to try.

Problem is, these things are supposed to polish what you track, not magically transform your vox.

So given the constraints of your equipment, I have to say you'll see the most result out of improved vocal technique.

Maybe you could take up another instrument. Guitar and/or keyboard are very popular instruments. I've been playing bass guitar and even the French horn (yes -- the French horn, if you can believe it) for a number of years now, and have received a great deal of enjoyment from it.

And no, you shouldn't be kicked off this forum, but your post should be ignored, because you're asking what amounts to be a very obvious and dumb question. You're admitting to using a crappy microphone, having an abrasive voice, and you don't know what you're doing, and you're asking for a magic box or plugin to make your vocals sound better.

I can't recommend any miracles for you now, but I will recommend a good flame suit. You might need it. :D

A good mic would help too. Try a SP C1.

The Voiceprism has a mic pre, but if you don't go down that road (I don't know why you wouldn't--you can make yourself sound like an entire boy band) (and who wouldn't want that!?) then you should invest in a good mic pre. At least a SP VTB-1 or M-Audio DMP3.

I agree that a good mic preamp is a necessity, especially with a cheap dynamic mic. Problem is, if you sound like the wicked witch of the West, all good mics and pres will do is is verify that when you sing, the flying monkees will show up.-Richie

Seems to me like he has the ability to be a star except for not going out of tune. With a little practice you should be able to solve that one too. :)

Thanks to all for you quick responses.

tigerbomb- I will try compression, delay, equalization and reverbs on Cubase. Compressor is a plug-in that I haven't tried yet, Txs.

chessrock- I will try playing French Horn when dressed with a fire suit in a public library. This way I won't be ignored. Txs

pdaniels- The magic box looks great

pdaniels and Richard- My mixer acts like a preamp, and have something called "phantom power" wich I believe is for microphones. You mean I need to buy a special preamp for mics? Can I rely on this feature of my mixer and get almost the same results?
By the other hand, I am now searching for SP C1. Txs for the info.

innovations- LOL.

My dumb question came when I realize of how sensitive is to record a clear voice on a track. I was not really aware of this until I finish recording with all the instruments I play in my little studio (upgraded soon with my brand new French horn).
I wanted to re-record my voice again for the final mixdown and then I saw the limitations. This happens in you very first days of PC recording.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Alejo.

You really should buy a C1, I have one myself and it's great on almost everything but especially on vox.

Phantom-Power is 48v that's required on most condensers like a C1.
Dynamic mics don't need it.

Another Option

Alejo...

Although I think my singing is ok, I wasn't too happy with my first recorded results (I used an SM58 clone mic onto a Tascam 4-track).

After trying all sorts of effects, etc, I simply double-tracked my voice and instantly got a sound that I was MUCH happier with.

This may or may not achieve the result you desire, but it won't cost you anything to try it!

...eon

I will positively try what you tell me. May be applying different pans and EQ to the tracks I will get something nice. Thanks a lot.

Compressor, C1 microphone, double tracking.. this is getting much much better...

ALEJO

READ THE SECOND POST OF THIS FORUM ENTITLED, "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?" READ EVERY BIT OF IT. THEN WHEN YOU ARE DONE, READ IT AGAIN.

ONLY AFTER YOU DO THAT CAN YOU ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS!!

NOW SHHHHHH.

Beez

Unfortunately, there are too many mic/pre combos that would make you sound much better. Start with a good LD mic. Try them out if possible. I think an Oktava MK-319 would be right up your alley. Good low cost LD condensor that makes the mid/bottoms really present and smooth. Try some at GC.

Back