ASIO vs DirectSound input/output Issue

catboyforever

Hello, I figured it would be good to make an account for this problem, as I haven't found a discussion on it yet.

DAW: FL Studio 11
Audio Interface: Avid 11 Rack
Soundcard: Avid 11 Rack

The volume within the DAW when using the 11 rack's ASIO as the input/output (in the audio settings dropdown menu) is louder than when the speakers (shown as "speakers (avid eleven rack)" under the directsound devices) running through the 11 rack are selected. Seeing as how I can only record using the ASIO devices, this makes the exported tracks come out quieter and less full than how I had thought I mixed them. Since I dont really want to have to compensate by raising the volume in the mix and risk distortion just to hear the exported track as loud as I hear in the DAW's playback, I wanted to figure out what the deal was.

Note the master OUT in the bottom of the mixer shows Main Out L- Main Out R when im on Avid 11 Rack ASIO
and Speakers (Avid 11 Rack) when the output/input is Speakers (Avid 11 Rack)

This has lead me to believe its something within the audio interface? but I cant seem to find out how to lower the main output without also lowering the speaker volume, if thats a thing.

It sounds more like a setting in the Windows sound control panel. Maybe the 11 Rack output is turned down in that control panel.

It sounds more like a setting in the Windows sound control panel. Maybe the 11 Rack output is turned down in that control panel.
Agreed. The usual practice is to use ASIO drivers for all audio purposes but if you have used Windows drivers check that levels are set to max in the Windows 'mixer'.

Dave.

I have never used ASIO drivers though I know everyone recommends, I don't have monitors and seems like that's the only way to get some output off it, I only count withe these speakers, plus most of my tracks are midi and I don't need my interface hosting those Nox Vidmate VLC tracks.

Last edited:
Back