Ashton Microphone / Apollo Twin issue

Latesound

Hello you all!

Having a recording issue here :
When I turn op the input of my Aston microphone on my Apollo Twin interface, I do not get a better sounds but more background stuff including the tv’s neighborhours...which I don’t even hear at all (soundproof environment).
How can I fix this up?

Thanks.

There's no simple way to put this.

You are not hearing it ("background stuff") because you are not listening for it. The microphone, however, is "listening" to everything with a frequency response that may be better than your own ears.

Your environment may be treated, but it is clearly not "soundproof," because the microphone cannot pick up sounds that are not there. Maybe you could describe the environment, and how you made it soundproof?

There's no simple way to put this.

You are not hearing it ("background stuff") because you are not listening for it. The microphone, however, is "listening" to everything with a frequency response that may be better than your own ears.

Your environment may be treated, but it is clearly not "soundproof," because the microphone cannot pick up sounds that are not there. Maybe you could describe the environment, and how you made it soundproof?
Well, here’s the deal :
This is a brand new condo on 2 floors.
This room has been soundproofed.
I am recording from a vocal booth which has 2 layers of plywood + another layer of styro.
And the entire thing is foamed.
I spent 2000$ on this .
I don’t even hear the next room, which is my roommate.
It is a frequency that’s been picked.
From a cable? Could it be?
Everything is brand new.

Are you near a broadcast tower? If so, check your cables.

If not, then maybe even more details of the problem is needed. Like, what else is the mic picking up? You said "including the tv’s neighborhours" (which I'm assuming you mean the neighbor's tv)

How does it sound when you speak or sing into the mic?

Well, here’s the deal :
I am recording from a vocal booth which has 2 layers of plywood + another layer of styro.
I spent 2000$ on this .
Everything is brand new.
Try another microphone. Try a different cable. Try it with just the cable and no microphone. If it's one of those components, you should hear a difference. Are you plugged into something that can operate on batteries? WiFi and Bluetooth disabled/off on the device? Etc. Go as "off grid" as you possibly can and get everything inside your booth.

p.s. do you have a shock mount with that mic (Aston?)? If not, the sound could easily be coming across the floors and up the stand into the mic.

Do a Google search on "Aston mic noisy". I had recalled seeing a few threads in a couple different forums that mention Aston mic self noise. May not be your problem, but might be.

Are you near a broadcast tower? If so, check your cables.

If not, then maybe even more details of the problem is needed. Like, what else is the mic picking up? You said "including the tv’s neighborhours" (which I'm assuming you mean the neighbor's tv)

How does it sound when you speak or sing into the mic?
I cannot hear much when I am speaking into the microphone.

Well, here’s the deal :
I spent 2000$ on this .
Everything is brand new.
can you give a little more detail on your "soundproofing"? plywood and styrofoam aren't great indicators...and just because your ears can't hear it doesn't mean your mic won't.

can you give a little more detail on your "soundproofing"? plywood and styrofoam aren't great indicators...and just because your ears can't hear it doesn't mean your mic won't.
This is the booth

Attachments

• ECEA51AF-A0E9-4494-89EE-DD80076B0D47.jpeg
    ECEA51AF-A0E9-4494-89EE-DD80076B0D47.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 4DA5FC52-5BCE-4541-8629-1EFC7FD04191.jpeg
    4DA5FC52-5BCE-4541-8629-1EFC7FD04191.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • EF7B94D0-ADF6-4F03-9E9A-147D776B016B.jpeg
    EF7B94D0-ADF6-4F03-9E9A-147D776B016B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 8216898B-2DC3-45A1-90C8-3DE265368E18.jpeg
    8216898B-2DC3-45A1-90C8-3DE265368E18.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 693B46DB-9252-418D-8185-999BD752301A.jpeg
    693B46DB-9252-418D-8185-999BD752301A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
Lots of foam there but nothing that will keep sound out and no shock mount.

Post a recording of the room when you don’t hear anything but the mic is picking up something. If you know it’s the neighbor’s TV I assume you can hear it outside the booth so should be something repeatable? Don’t apply any Fx to the recording.

I think Keith's request is a good one. Give us a recording, maybe 5-10 seconds of speaking at normal level, then at 15-20 seconds to total silence. If possible, even hold your breath, as this is easily picked up. Attach an MP3 at 320kps. This will let us know what the ambient level is and compare to your normal speaking voice level.

Back