As I Walk Through The Valley Of Sound Cards

gener1c

All,

1. First Question, MOTU 1224 or ECHO Layla 24?
2. Why?
3. Another Reason for your answer to #1?

Here is the system it'll go into:

PIII-550
256MB RAM
30GB 7200RPM
Echo Layla 20-bit
Logic Audio Gold4.5

When you answer, please list credentials so I know that you are not some Yahoo-Willy recording on a Sound Blaster 8-bit installed in your 386 running DOS v5.0.

Thanks for the advice........

-gen

P.S. Sonusman.....go easy on me, I just need reassurance. :)

Mirror, mirror on the wall

How come we got the same gear, y'all?

Well, almost.

PIII 700 MHZ
256 RAM
20 Gig 7200 rpm
Echo Mona 24
Cubase VST24

Still deciding on the keys.

As for whether Echo product is any good, let me say:

Sonusman is a very knowledgeable guy
I weighed his opinion (and all the others) carefully
I was tired of trying to make a decision
Mona met most of my needs (atta girl!)

This is a hobby for me. Playing guitar used to be my profession, but the last time I was in a real recording studio (just off Marble Arch in London with a 48-strack SSL board) was in 1985, when I had a Tascam 4-track at home, and it was the bleeding edge of technology. Since then I haven't touched any recording devices.

I'm sure Mona will be more than adequate for my purposes, and she was over my budget, but I went for it anyway.

Now the problem is going to be finding the time to do all the writing and recording that I want to.

Watch this space, y'all.

foo

Cool....but.....

Das cool but what about MOtu??

Oh me oh my.....what ever shall I do. Im lost in a sea of confusion and cant get a atraight answer.....i want to be lead around like a sheep.....you, you there! lead me....tell me what is better! :)

j/k....but i would like to get an answer from someone besides a salesman on motu vs echo....because it seems that whatever they have in stock is the best thing on the market....im tired of that shit.

-gen

I can only tell you what I know about MOTU - which is that it is the choice of many recording professionals, who use it in conjunction with Mac computers.

It is not the product of choice for PC users, as (I have heard)it is more susceptible to glitches with a PC.

MOTU comes highly recommended from a friend of mine who uses it professionally in LA with a Mac, as does 'everyone he knows'.

If you are not a pro, stop worrying about getting that last db of performance out of your gear.

Make the choice - BMW, Jaguar or Lexus and learn to make it work for you.

As long as you get something that is pretty good, you'll be fine - because ultimately, it's the quality of what you record, not what you record it on, that is going to make your friends go 'Wow, that's a great tune'
They're not going to go 'Man, those A/D converters are the greatest I've ever heard' or 'Golly, this sounds like Steve Lillywhite produced it'.

Just do it, and make it kick ass when you do!

foo

Check out the Gadget Labs 824 interface. Been very happy with mine so far, although I am just a serious hobbiet at this point. You may like what you see (and hear) better than either the MOTU or ECHO units.

Back