As Good As A Neumann But Cheaper

Shame on those companies trying to make a profit instead of just making stuff for fun and losing money. They should have followed the lead of all those successful companies that operate that way.

"We lose money on every item we sell... but we make up for it in volume"!

Shame on those companies trying to make a profit instead of just making stuff for fun and losing money. They should have followed the lead of all those successful companies that operate that way.

"We lose money on every item we sell... but we make up for it in volume"!
I did not mean it like that Rich honestly. The companies farm out jobs to far East at the expense of our jobs in the west for more profit. Our workers end up worse off. Just saying mate.

There are three distinct generations of homewreckers in this thread. I don't think I've seen anything posted by Fletcher for over 10 years.

Just yanking your chain, Smithers. We have the same issues with jobs going to Mexico, Indonesia, Malaysia. However, it's one way companies can remain competitive. I know of one company that refused to work with China for a long time. The company is long gone. They simply weren't able to match others in the field, and by the time they relented, it was too late. It was cheaper to ship things across the Pacific than to make locally.

Japan used to be the source of cheap labor, but that changed. Companies moved to Korea to control costs (China was still closed off), and that went fine for a while. Now Korea is paying more, and China is the place. It works, but dealing with the Chinese government makes things trickier. They can pivot on a moment's notice. Our chemical plant in China closed because the Chinese gov't decided to repurpose the entire area to residential.

Just yanking your chain, Smithers. We have the same issues with jobs going to Mexico, Indonesia, Malaysia. However, it's one way companies can remain competitive. I know of one company that refused to work with China for a long time. The company is long gone. They simply weren't able to match others in the field, and by the time they relented, it was too late. It was cheaper to ship things across the Pacific than to make locally.

Japan used to be the source of cheap labor, but that changed. Companies moved to Korea to control costs (China was still closed off), and that went fine for a while. Now Korea is paying more, and China is the place. It works, but dealing with the Chinese government makes things trickier. They can pivot on a moment's notice. Our chemical plant in China closed because the Chinese gov't decided to repurpose the entire area to residential.
Yes Rich I have one of the earliest Tokai Jap Strat from 82. I dont support the idea of fakes, I dont know what the answer is. Better co-operation and democratising China. Stop the war and get rid of Putin and help the Russian people get a democratly elected government for their prosperity, they deserve that.

Yes Rich I have one of the earliest Tokai Jap Strat from 82. I dont support the idea of fakes, I dont know what the answer is. Better co-operation and democratising China. Stop the war and get rid of Putin and help the Russian people get a democratly elected government for their prosperity, they deserve that.
I do believe that we owe a debt in our world to try to help the poorest in our world. If we can square the circle and try to share the obscene wealth in the hands of a few people to try to give every child born into this world. Shelter, food, clean water, and a basic education then we will be a much better civilisation and everyone will prosper. Amen

Sorry for getting a bit heavy. I have depression, apologied

The regime in China has opened up to expand their economy for their means but it is still a one party state. They can be the biggest economy in the world. One day China will be democratic, we just have to encourage the will of their people, like Russia

When I am in the depths of despair, I go to my music room and put some vinyl on my turntable and float away with this xxx

I've gotten to where I can work with just about anything.

I don't really believe in 'magic' equipment that makes you sound good .... guitars especially. I can get a good sound out of almost anything as long as it intonates and doesn't buzz.
I have a buncha cheap condensers ....... never had anyone ever say, "That's pretty good but it sounds like a cheap mic'.
Main thing about better gear is it makes it a bit easier but ultimately, with a bit 'o' work, anything competent will do for moi

The UK's Gear4music has condensers in its SubZero own brand range starting from £30 for a SDC (not electret, as far as I can tell) up to a whopping £199 for a tube LDC. That's where we are now.

The UK's Gear4music has condensers in its SubZero own brand range starting from £30 for a SDC (not electret, as far as I can tell) up to a whopping £199 for a tube LDC. That's where we are now.
Yes I bought a Gear4Music stage piano as my go to Piano and MIDI controller for £350. Real bargain very good value for money stuff from that shop. The sounds are great but limited and I love combining the grand piano and strings together. Its a good replica of Dreams sound 🥰😇.

I recently decided to save a little money building my mic locker and bought a Warm Audio WA-87 (Neumann U87 clone), Warm Audio WA-14 (AKG C414 clone) and a Golden Age R1 MKII Ribbon (RCA ribbon clone)… then I also was able to use my Musician’s Friend rewards to purchase a Neumann TLM 103 for $350 (normally $1500!) (Yes, I had that much in rewards points after buying multiple synths and a new Kronos2 73!)
I have tested them all:
The WA-87 is nice, good room sound, well balanced, but a little lack luster, but for the price… keeper, got a great acoustic guitar room recorded with it.
The WA-14, sounds just like every AKG C414 I’ve ever used… identical, can’t tell a difference and for that price (1/3 of AKG!) I’ll take it!
Golden Age - nice, sounds like the few RCA ribbons I’ve used but nowhere near as good as the Royers I’ve used.
BUT…
The Neumann TLM 103… WOW, worth the money.. hands down the best mic I own and will be my go to for vocals, acoustic guitar and more!! This thing just shines and glistens and is worth every penny (even though I’m glad I didn’t spend $1500!). Sometimes the hype is real. That’s not saying I’m going to go out and spend $5k on a real Neumann U87 or U47, but I’m happy with TLM 103!

Mic locker as of now: (L to R) Shure SM7B, AKG P220, Neumann TLM103, Shaker Harmonica Mic (front), WA-87 (back), EV Raven (front), WA-14 (back), EV Cardinal, Golden Age R1 MKII, Shure SM57, Shure SM58, AKG C170, Two Sennheiser E822s
20444BB6-AC16-41DA-B2DE-37FA049DAAC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Ace, if you get a chance, I would really interested in hearing the WA87 vs the TLM103 on some acoustic guitar and maybe vocal.

Back