As a classical musician, how can I branch out into composition and commercial music?

Branithar

I've played classical piano for a very long time but I've never played a whole lot of commercial music. I know enough blues to handle jam sessions, and have played piano at church on occasion, but my expertise is in classical (playing what's written on a page). Jazz chords and pop/rock isn't my specialty.

What is a good route, for branching into modern music, after spending years playing classical? A neighbor taught jazz piano at a music college, so I'm looking into lessons. I was in the military as a network administrator, and just got out and am looking at civilian IT jobs, and need to secure a job before paying for lessons. I'm also thinking of getting a part-time IT job, and using my GI Bill to pay for music college.

But in the meantime, before taking any jazz lessons or using my GI Bill for music college...what are good resources to get me up on composition and songwriting and arranging? I have EastWest Symphonic Orchestra and Choirs, and Komplete...and can get some pretty stuff out of it, but I want to get a good melody out of it, and make a good arrangement.

I think the best way to get into contemporary music is to find some guys and jam with them. I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem finding a band that needs a keyboard player. Do the cover band thing, learn the songs they are playing. You learn a lot just by doing covers. Then you can get into songwriting and composition.

Just what Chili said. Learn a bunch of cover tunes and get with some players. That will get you used to playing a different style of music. As for songwriting, if you haven't done it before you'll just have to give it a try and find out if you have the knack.

What are you trying to make exactly. Its good to know what you are compairing your work to. Even in mastering you can use another track by someone you want it to sound like.
So you told us what you don't want to play.

Before you spend any money you need to look at yourself. Do a kind of skill audit. You play classical mainly, and you read. That's a good indicator. Imagine you were playing a piece and got to maybe 8 bars before the page turn, and the music fell off the stand. What would you be able to do? Keep playing, mainly from memory, perhaps not note perfect but close enough to convince casual listeners, or would you simply not know what to play?

When you are playing, can you picture the chord, or the melody continuation you are going to probably see when you turn the page? Can you predict where the music is going when you start a complicated key change section? Do you get surprised when the eventual key isn't what you expected? Can you hear some of those complex jazz chords and work out what they are - especially the weird 11/13 ones where it's subtle clashes working for or against you?

Last thing - can you improvise and play songs you know, or have heard from memory? When somebody says to you - play something, anything - can you? If these things are problems for your style and ability then jazz might be very tricky, perhaps even impossible? Can you, for example - take one of your classical pieces and play it in a different style - maybe 3/4 rather than 4/4. Can you take a melody and then change it to something akin to a solo improvised around the original. I'm not certain these things can be taught? They're a different set of playing components not everyone actually has!

Heh! My son impressed me some years ago. He "tracked" a drunken Irishman through Danny Boy on guitar over several key changes and GAKs how many time sigs!

He also reads very well but once did a video audition for a job on the liners. Those guys are beyond good! He did not get the job.

Dave.

Before you spend any money you need to look at yourself. Do a kind of skill audit. You play classical mainly, and you read. That's a good indicator. Imagine you were playing a piece and got to maybe 8 bars before the page turn, and the music fell off the stand. What would you be able to do? Keep playing, mainly from memory, perhaps not note perfect but close enough to convince casual listeners, or would you simply not know what to play?

When you are playing, can you picture the chord, or the melody continuation you are going to probably see when you turn the page? Can you predict where the music is going when you start a complicated key change section? Do you get surprised when the eventual key isn't what you expected? Can you hear some of those complex jazz chords and work out what they are - especially the weird 11/13 ones where it's subtle clashes working for or against you?

Last thing - can you improvise and play songs you know, or have heard from memory? When somebody says to you - play something, anything - can you? If these things are problems for your style and ability then jazz might be very tricky, perhaps even impossible? Can you, for example - take one of your classical pieces and play it in a different style - maybe 3/4 rather than 4/4. Can you take a melody and then change it to something akin to a solo improvised around the original. I'm not certain these things can be taught? They're a different set of playing components not everyone actually has!

I've heard it described as people who "listen to jimi, and those who hear to jimi". :p

White Men Can't Hear Jimi Hendrix (Only listen …) - YouTube

But really, you kinda nailed it on the head. Playing music is mechanical and spiritual. Good players fall in that sweet spot between. But for composing originals, that's an entirely extra layer to an already nuanced art. "Songwriters" are much different from "players".

Before you spend any money you need to look at yourself. Do a kind of skill audit. You play classical mainly, and you read. That's a good indicator.

The most recent bands I was in was a band that did Ben Folds and Dave Matthews covers, then a blues band with some guys on base. When I mess around and do some improv it sounds a little like Adele, but sometimes it sounds more easy listening & PBS-ish than I'd like (I have no intention of ever opening for Celtic Woman or John Tesh). I know enough scales chords to blend into most bands, I'm just having a block when it comes to getting a melody out of the chords and texures I play around with (aside from blues of course: it's easy getting something melodic with blues).

The most recent bands I was in was a band that did Ben Folds and Dave Matthews covers, then a blues band with some guys on base. When I mess around and do some improv it sounds a little like Adele, but sometimes it sounds more easy listening & PBS-ish than I'd like (I have no intention of ever opening for Celtic Woman or John Tesh). I know enough scales chords to blend into most bands, I'm just having a block when it comes to getting a melody out of the chords and texures I play around with (aside from blues of course: it's easy getting something melodic with blues).

Try some synth leads over some music out of your comfort zone.

Back