Article : While My Guitar Gently Weeps

spantini

COO of me, inc.
The article itself has a few tidbits of info, but there are five tasty videos to boot. In later performances, Eric couldn't or wouldn't play his guitar the same as in the original album version - which I think has the most feeling. The last video has a couple guys recreating the original solos to some degree. . . maybe even a little better. One guy goes nuts on a Tele.

Last edited:
Yeah it's good stuff but ya know... it's like my mom tellin me how awesome Glenn Miller was, or Benny Goodman... in 1970.

Benny Goodman still kicks ass and always will. Had this type of argument with another rocker. He said Zep would be around way longer than
Motzart. I laughed and said give it three hundred years. Glen Miller was no slouch either. Just sayin.. Both of them helped shape modern music more
than any rocker.

Yeah it's good stuff but ya know... it's like my mom tellin me how awesome Glenn Miller was, or Benny Goodman... in 1970.
Benny Goodman still kicks ass and always will. Had this type of argument with another rocker. He said Zep would be around way longer than
Motzart. I laughed and said give it three hundred years. Glen Miller was no slouch either. Just sayin.. Both of them helped shape modern music more
than any rocker.

DoGooder, You're absolutely on point. Guys like Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven didn't have record contracts and videos and the internet to spread their music around. They wrote it down and people would play it.. over and over and over again, and still are hundreds of years later. Works by the big band era groups like Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Woody Hermann are still being played live by musicians today. The Beatles music is being played 50-60 years later every day.

I wonder how many people are going to be playing Cardi B's WAP or DaBaby's RockStar live in concert halls and bars in 50 years.

I've heard people say that Hendrix wasn't so great, there are 1000 guitarists who can play like that. What they fail to realize is that he invented a lot of the techniques and sounds that those people play. These people are innovators, like Les Paul, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly. They created not only music, but a style that laid a new foundation for those that followed.

As they say "Standing on the shoulders of giants".

Whoa !!! Left turn, Clyde :drunk:

Something I frequently think about are ads and commercials on radio and TV - wherever a piece of music accompanies them. Quite a bit of the music bits are from the 60's-70's. Sure, this plays up to all the Boomers still hanging in there, but they're only about 20% of the population. Why isn't music from the early 80's-on being used in ads which cater to younger generations? Is it because much of those later generations spend less time listening to radio and watching TV? That's one possibility. Another possibility is newer music frequently lacks catchy phrases and hooks which lend themselves to radio and TV ads. Eh. . . who knows.

Hell, radio and TV probably won't be around in another hundred years anyway, so. . .

I wonder how many people are going to be playing Cardi B's WAP or DaBaby's RockStar live in concert halls and bars in 50 years.
hell, im covering Tupacs song 'ryding'. what is your favorite NWA diddy to jukebox at open mic night?
I've heard people say that Hendrix wasn't so great, there are 1000 guitarists who can play like that.
he wasnt as great as they made him.
"Standing on the shoulders of giants".
Yes, some of us did.

hell, im covering Tupacs song 'ryding'. what is your favorite NWA diddy to jukebox at open mic night?
Don't have any NWA diddies.... the best I can muster is Low Rider from War. It it gets any faster than that, I get tongue tied and can't keep up with the karaoke words on the screen!

I was at a party about 23 years ago and they had a karaoke machine set up in one room. When it was my turn an Eagles song came up - Lyin' Eyes. I knew that song well, but when I tried singing with it, it was in the wrong key and I couldn't keep up. I sounded as drunk as some of the guests :drunk:

Yeah, there's a huge generation of white women we lost to rap music..Its awesome that they know all the words to their songs..Lots of'N'word..but its cool cause they are fans of the music.

Do the men get a 'pass'? nevermind I dont want one.

DoGooder, You're absolutely on point. Guys like Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven didn't have record contracts and videos and the internet to spread their music around. They wrote it down and people would play it.. over and over and over again, and still are hundreds of years later. Works by the big band era groups like Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Woody Hermann are still being played live by musicians today. The Beatles music is being played 50-60 years later every day.

I've heard people say that Hendrix wasn't so great, there are 1000 guitarists who can play like that. What they fail to realize is that he invented a lot of the techniques and sounds that those people play. These people are innovators, like Les Paul, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly. They created not only music, but a style that laid a new foundation for those that followed.

As they say "Standing on the shoulders of giants".
The thing with Hendrix, he wasn't the greatest technical player by far, but he had soul. When the electric guitar was invented everyone was taking what had been done on the acoustic guitar and applying it to the electric. Hendrix came along and said, "hold my beer." Sure, someone else would have come along, but would they have had
the charisma etc. that Hendrix had?

Whoa !!! Left turn, Clyde :drunk:

Something I frequently think about are ads and commercials on radio and TV - wherever a piece of music accompanies them. Quite a bit of the music bits are from the 60's-70's. Sure, this plays up to all the Boomers still hanging in there, but they're only about 20% of the population. Why isn't music from the early 80's-on being used in ads which cater to younger generations? Is it because much of those later generations spend less time listening to radio and watching TV? That's one possibility. Another possibility is newer music frequently lacks catchy phrases and hooks which lend themselves to radio and TV ads. Eh. . . who knows.

Hell, radio and TV probably won't be around in another hundred years anyway, so. . .
There will be a chip in your head if you still have one, you won't need no stikin tv or radio.

I was at a party about 23 years ago and they had a karaoke machine set up in one room. When it was my turn an Eagles song came up - Lyin' Eyes. I knew that song well, but when I tried singing with it, it was in the wrong key and I couldn't keep up. I sounded as drunk as some of the guests :drunk:
No excuses for your shortcomings, you just suck, or so I have heard. I know folks who were there that night.

Back