Article on the early death of musicians, need help!

Oh they would have to save a celebrity to earn the accolade of noteworthiness!

It seems a fitting day to say, that in perfect world, if we know the name of Michael Jackson's pet monkey, and the exact pounds per square inch of the grip of Paris Hilton's naughty bits (which probably isn't much) we should know the names of every firefighter who marched into the WTC to save lives. We should all be able to recite every one of those names at the click of a finger.

Very insightful comment, Mr Serial.

But don't get me started on the subject of 'fame without talent'. I don't hate much in this world, but I make an exception for that.

And he's called Bubbles. Have I won ? :)

In fact, I've just remembered a lyric I wrote about my thoughts on celebrity without talent in a song I wrote a couple of months ago :

Like to find a place to be
Far away from celebrity
Leaving smiles throughout the day
With the cameras they point their way

I don't know why I posted this, but there's not much on the telly.

Sometimes success can be devastating. Too much money, too much fame, way too young. Athletes face the same risks with one major difference.....they have to stay healthy to stay rich and famous. Still, some of them hit the wall real hard.

Sometimes success can be devastating. Too much money, too much fame, way too young. Athletes face the same risks with one major difference.....they have to stay healthy to stay rich and famous. Still, some of them hit the wall real hard.

just goes to show that success, fame, and money don't make you happy.

The link between creativity, undiagnosed depression (particularly bipolar for extreme behaviours and BP2 - non euphoric - for the obsessive, paranoid negative world view bahaviours) , self (unwitting) medication, the comedown from performance adulation, boredom and the pressure to "sell" better & the fulcrum between creative or financial success.
Also the link between "addictive personality" types and any/all of the above warrant inspection.

Look up Jeff Buckley on Wiki. He was a truely gifted song writer performer and didn't die of substance abuse. He died one night swimming in a river. A large boat went past and they found the body later. He wasn't under the influence.

I would highly urge you to check out his music. He had an incredible voice range. He had only two albums. The second album was released after his death.

Thanks guys, the article turned out to be very nice, chief editor was very happy. Maybe I will post a translated version of my research soon. Thanks again!

...mentioning Beiderbecke:

Buddy Bolden, considered the first great Jazz horn player, went nuts. He started to behave more and more weirdly and aggressively until he collapsed at a New Orleans parade one day and was put in an asylum where he died.

Also (in the suicide division): Mishima, the influential Japanese writer, committed harakiri.

And the winner is:

Albert Dekker, 1940es dapper character actor (horror fans remember him as Dr. Cyclops) who was found in his home this way:

"Dekker was kneeling nude in the bathtub. A noose was around his neck but not tight enough to have strangled him. A scarf was tied over his eyes and a horse’s bit was in his mouth, fashioned from a rubber ball and metal wire, the bit had chain "reins" that were tightly tied beneath his head. Two leather straps were stretched between the leather belts that girded his neck and chest. A third belt, around his waist, was tied with a rope that stretched to his ankles, where it had been tied in some kind of timber hitch. The end of the rope, which continued up his side, wrapped around his wrist several times and was held in Dekker’s hand. Handcuffs clamped both wrists with a key attached. Written in red lipstick on his right buttock was the word, "whip." Sunrays had also been drawn around his nipples. "Make me suck," was written on his throat, and "slave," and "cocksucker," on his chest. On his stomach was drawn a vagina. He had apparently been dead for several days.

He was 62 years old."

...and some say there is no correlation between creativity and mental states...:eek::rolleyes:

Best,
C.

Thanks guys, the article turned out to be very nice, chief editor was very happy. Maybe I will post a translated version of my research soon. Thanks again!

Hey F_cksia, I didn't see this post until now as I rarely wander into Jenni's place. I am very interested in reading your article. I realize that your article probably focuses on the human angle of why people self destruct but there is also the "commercial" angle of self destructing pop stars and I believe that record companies are perfectly aware that no one sells records like a dead pop star.
In my salad days I was a member of a pop band that was and is a household name here in Spain. I recorded four records with them and was included in a cut of the royalties and still retain those rights. After about five years with them I finally quit because the lead singer, main composer and alma mater of the band was a hopeless junkie and I couldn't handle working in that situation anymore. Despite the fact that one of the records had gone gold, I appeared frequently on TV and made good money, I threw it all away and went back to making shit money playing in bars. I never quit being a friend to my former boss and even played in a "paralell" band that he threw together. Ten years after I threw in the towel this person was found dead on a downtown street in Madrid from a heroin overdose. It was on the front pages of all the newspapers here.
Needless to say record sales went through the roof and the record company proceeded to rerelease old recordings as; Best Of Volume I, Best Of Volume II, Best Of Box Set etc etc which of course was good news to me as I recorded many of those tunes and still collect royalties on them. I am now a multiple gold record and platinum record recording artist thanks to the fact that "No one sells records like a dead pop star". (OK gold and platinum records are half what they are in the US but then the population of Spain is about an eighth of the US and to be truthful I have no idea how many records I am on and the company never gave me the ceremonial gold and platinum records to hang on the wall as I unceremoniously told these Iberian pop icons to take their job and shove it).
Anyway, I would like to read your article and it's a shame I didn't see this before as I could have given you a lot of first hand knowledge of the early death of a pretty damn good writer of pop tunes.
el jordan

sorry I am late on this thread too....would like to read the article you wrote.

I started in L.A. in the sixties, most was available and alot was legal back then.
I have found that getting yourself into alcohol and drugs kind of takes place over alot of time and road trips if you will.
Stress, and the fact that you tour constantly gives way to finding things to make you have more energy, and coping power. Sometimes you just want to see how fast things can get.
Regardless, drugs of different variety either speed ya up, slow ya down or create hallucinations...and I liked all three...and before bedtime, when the noise goes away, alcohol helps sleep, but alcohol also frees ya up, and too much and you get stupid.
There's some very good and sincere points made on this thread and I enjoyed reading them all.
I hope you did enclude the fact that alcohol, and drugs are also considered genetically linked, and passed on "addictive personalities" to anyone.
As far as musicians dieing earlier, I agree with the mass majority and population percentages here....when you were 23 years old, did you as a working musician ever say "I'll never make it to thirty"? I know I did.
I'm 58, still playing out, and have some (few) health problems, but after living the life of a road musician I am still here...hard to believe, but I am thankful. And I'll keep right on playing...maybe I'll die on stage, hopefully not alone....I can picture ol' Red Foxx, grabbing his chest, "Elizabeth here I come"! Its the big one...the lead guitarist in our band has had triple by-pass, now thats a sign of being in the Biz too long. "Only the good die young" thats a bunch of crap!

Back