ART Tube MP Input Level

Raj

1. No, I'm singing into the left side of the mic... nyuk nyuk nyuk.

I'm using a brand new (first time out of the box)AKG C1000s mic. Yes, the phantom power is turned on - I even installed a battery in the mic, as it was unclear from the instuctions whether or not it would function without a battery even with the phantom power on. Didn't make any difference.

I'm also using a brand spankin' new pre-amp, although that doesn't necessarily mean that it is working properly. Tryin' a different pre-amp with everything else in the signal chain remaining the same ain't a bad idea, if I can convince a local store to let me try a floor model. I bought mine through mail order...

Cables are all of good quality, and fairly new... but of course its possible they are malfunctioning.

Any other ideas?

[This message has been edited by Raj (edited 02-11-2000).]

Well... first off, I'm not real happy with the scanty info provided by ART on the Tube MP... seems to leave alot to trial and error. I'm using an AKG 1000s into the xlr input of the Tube MP, then an unbalanced 1/4 cable from the MP's output into the regular mic/line input of a Tascam 414 cassette multi-track. The Tube MP "manual" sez to start with the normal gain, and turn up the input level until the clip light goes from green to red, then back off a bit. I turn the input knob up all the way, end up yelling into the mic, can't get it to clip. So the manual sez that if you have to turn the input up past 4:00 (I assume that means the 4 o'clock position) to engage (like Capt Piccard!) the +26db switch, then again turn up the input knob until it clips, then back off a little. Even with the increased gain, I've got the input turned up practically all the way and barely get it to flicker red (clipping). Then when I turn up the output, I've got to go up to about halfway before I get to 0db on the meters of the multitrack. And over the headphones I can hear plenty of electronic background noise by that time.

Now, I'm keeping the trim on the 414 all the way down at the line end of the spectrum to prevent (if possible) pre-amping my pre-amp.

Should I really need to have the input gain on the Tube MP set so high before I get a strong input signal on the Tube MP? Am I deafeating the purpose of the outboard mic pre-amp by plugging it into the Mic/line input of the multitrack?

1 are you singing in to the right side of the mic
2 faulty cable
3 little demons taking over your tube mp
4 bad tube
5 bad tube mp
also what kind of mic??
since it's a mono unit, see if you could try another one changing nothing in the chain but the MP see if your local store has a floor model

Raj, a small detail and not the answer to your problem - the AKG works on either a battery or phantom power- it doesn't need both.

HI:
Interesting problem. I have used both the tube MP and the dual tube MP and have found these to be pretty sensitive. Here's an atempt at further trouble-shooting:

1) Is the mic turned on (I think the C1000s have a resessed on/off switch.)?

2) Try recording anyway (with the settings for input and output cranked). What does it sound like?

3) If little or no sound goes to tape --- You could have either a faulty tube MP or a faulty microphone (or cable).

Make sure everything is actually on and running. Make sure you're singing, playing, or speaking fairly loudly into the microphone. Try other microphones for comparison. Try other pre-amps if you have them (like the unbalanced ones on the Tascam). One thing I have always found with audio --- You can find the answer to every question, just be patient and objective.

Patrick

Puh-Puh-Puh Patrick: Thanks for the comments - this is the kind od situation analysis I try to do myself.

Yuppers, the mic is on. I moved the switch a couple times to make sure it was positioned correctly - all the way to on position.

I did get some sound on tape: moderate to loud fingerstyle steel-string acoustic, mic'd about ten inches away from the sound hole, angled slightly toward the neck. The input on the pre-amp was turned up to about 80%, the output of same up to about 50%, the input gain on the multitrack all the way down (line position). This resulted in the track meters of the multitrack barely getting up to 0db. The sound resulting on playback was weak, thin, muddy, with a lot of "noise".

I will go ahead and plug the mic into the input of the multitrack and see what kind of levels and sound I get. At this point I'm starting tho think that the Tube MP is defective.

I can't get my Tube MP to clip either. I can crank it up to the point of gnarly distortion but the light is ALWAYS green. It's brand spankin new too. I wonder if they changed something and didn't update the manual.

Slackmaster 2000

The AKG C-1000 S is first off one of the most overrated microphones there are. I have found two uses for them, ride cymbals (in which I have found no other mic that even compares!) and the bottom of a Leslie cabinet. That is it!

The C-1000 has a very low output to it. Yes you have to crank it up unless the input to it is very loud.

Ed

Slackster - What mic (or mics) are you plugging into the MP? So you're not able to get the input to clip, either... hmm. Are you able to get acceptable (or better I hope) levels to record?

What are you using to pre-amp the pre-amp?

Yeah I can get good levels out of it. That's not the problem. In fact I'm not even sure I have a problem.

I ran a DI box into the input and still haven't seen it clip. That's not a big preamp mind you, but more signal than a damn mic. I also used an SM57 with the same results. I could crank the input (with gain boost) until I reached horrible distortion...but still the light stayed green.

Since this is a microphone preamp, and an SM57 is the standard microphone...I'd say that the instructions in the book are flawed. Wouldn't suprise me actually...seems that the person who wrote it didn't even know about spell check :) Personally I just set the thing such that both the input and output are as high as they'll both go together. Seems logical for some reason and I have no trouble getting enough output. Have you looked at your tube? Maybe it's dead.

Slackmaster 2000

Just got my tube MP today. I can get it to turn a little yellow with my new NT-1, but no red. I don't see this as a problem at all.

OK...I can honestly say I have TURNED MINE RED.

My CAD E200 with no pad on can make my MP
clip. It does take a strong hit of input.
For the price, it's a great Pre…. I think.
I have been shopping for mid to better grade though. Anyone who hasn't
tried using a better unit, they should check ART or other manuf for Pres of better quality. It definitely is a step closer to pro. Agreed?

This may be a stupid question, so I'll explain why I'm asking it.

My CAD E200 mic has 2 batteries. 9 volt.
When I bought the unit it had to be charged for 12 hrs first. If you plug it in to the MP
it starts charging from Phantom power on the pre. But if it doesn't have that initial charge
it wont work to full potential.

Is the AKG alike? Maybe.

Thanks for the input, folks. I'll just keep messing around with it til I get decent sound or find out what's wring with it (if anything). Chiao!

Back