ART ProChannel and RODE NTK

Bonafide

This song was recorded using an ART ProChannel and a RODE NTK Tube Mic . Both of these units have been absolutley great and I am here to recommend them to anyone. I have gotten some great advice on this board and the ART ProChannel has possibly been the best piece of gear I have purchased as a result of that..

Thanks.

Interesting, that's the exact combo I've been eyeing for my next purchase, the NTK is highly spoke of, have you miked an acoustic with it. I got no speakers on this computer

tubedude said:
Listened to this a few days ago... nice mix... what were the other essentials?

Hey Tube Dude, thanks.

AKAI DPS16...
Recorded in 24 bit, mixed to 24 bit and dithered to 16 bit on a Masterlink. Reverb= lexicon MPX100

Mixed about 30 times.

That's about it.. Good basic tracks to start. I ended mixing without EQ on this track which is not normal for me, just worked out that way.

Cheers.

Very nice, Bonafide... excellent song and a very good job on the recording and mixing aspects, too.
I might have brought those lead-fills up just a bit, though... but, that's subjective.

I, too, have an Akai DPS16 and a Rode NTK... but, I have a MindPrint Envoice preamp. But, our set-up is somewhat similar... or so it seems.

I have a couple of tunes for you to listen to that were recorded on my Akai. These songs were recorded with an AKG C3000 on the acoustic and vocal tracks, though... since the NTK wasn't out yet when we recorded these songs.

Anyway, here's the link....
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/248/the_mac_brothers.html

The songs are #1 (Doin' Nothin") and song #3 (Angel Child).
Both of the songs feature prominent acoustic tracks, so, see what you think.

All the other songs were recorded on a Korg D8 with crappy cables and such, so if you listen to them, bare that in mind... although, they are really good songs and worth a listen. :)

Again, great job on your song! I'm looking forward to hearing more songs from you. ;)

Buck

Hey Buck,

Nice job yourself!

Excellent Acoustic Tones! Nice Job. I was yearnin' to hear more drums cutting thorugh the mix, a little more upfront or punchy. Could be these speakers.
What do you mix onto?
Are the drums compressed ?
Is the 'mix' itself compressed at all, or just various instruments/vocals etc?

Cheers.

First of all.... thank you! :)

Ahhh... the drums.
Well, the drums are are a 5-piece Yamaha DTXpress kit. with a couple of modifications. I have a Pintech dual-trigger mesh-head snare, which gives me quicker response and a more natural feel. I recorded the drums straight in (stereo) from the sound module and added a slight bit of reverb from the Akai.
They really THUMP on this end, so you might be right about your speakers.

The vocals, harmonica, and the acoustic guitar tracks were recorded with a very small amount of compression (from my preamp), but there is no post-production compression at all on the entire mix.
So, basically, they are both unmastered mixes.

The bass was lined straight in, and all the electric guitar parts (rhythm and leads) were all recorded with the POD.
The lead/jam part in "Doin' Nothin" featured a Heil TalkBox.... like the one's Peter Frampton and Joe Walsh used, to get that neat wah-wah effect.

The songs were mixed down straight to a Tascam CDRW-700, which automatically dithers them from 24 to 16 bits, via the S/PDIF output on the Akai.
We burn the songs as hot as we can get without going over the top.

That's about it.

I see you have a MasterLink.
Damn!....I wish I had one of those to play around with! ;)
It seems to have given you a very pro-sounding production.
I also forgot to say.... nice job on the vocals, too!

Looks like we can compete with the big boys, huh? ;)

Hey Buck62,

What version of the AKAI DPS16 are you using?

I recently got the 3.0 upgrade CD and it takes about 20 seconds to load. It adds some extremely cool features.. Normalizing, track gain changes, multi band compression, wav file support for CDR-CDRW and a nice multi-selectable dithering section.
I don't use any of it yet because the Masterlink has terrific converters and flexible compression, but those features will make a great difference for mixing for MP3.
I 'over-compressed', limited really, for MP3, the CD mix version is different. That is the beauty of the Masterlink, I can take a single mix and tweak it a number of ways without losing my original mix..

Any other DPS16 users you know? I would love to get a tips/ tricks thing goin'. There is no forum or any other thing. I have been absoultey happy with mine but have had to get the feel for some of it's 'personality' the hard way.

Cheers.

I have the original version of the DPS16, with no upgrades.
I'd like to add the upgrade, but I'm not great with computers.
Did you upgrade through the SCSI port?
My studio and my computer are in the same house, but on different floors.... so, I'd have to move stuff around to do that.

There are a few other Akai people here. Sondriven is one of them.
I believe he's done the upgrade, too.

Buck62 said:

I'd like to add the upgrade, but I'm not great with computers.
Did you upgrade through the SCSI port?

Not great with computers? HA!! Me too! You are seeing the extent of my prowess in my ability to log on to the Interenet.:)

I bought a EXTERNAL Yamaha SCSI CDR drive on the Internet for backing up my files from the DPS16 (What a Life Saver!!)

I had to order the Upgrade CD from AKAI and then use the Yamaha burner and the SCSI port to install it. You have to have a 'special' SCSI cable SCSI MD50 (cost's about $70 OUCH!!)
Good Luck..

Back