art pro vla - your opinions?

dix0r

hey guys, how's it going?

i couldn't really find much about this thing anywhere, but it seems like most people either liked it or just hadn't heard it - i don't think i came across any negative reviews (or maybe there was only one).

i'm just curious if any of you have/had one, and what you think of it, and what you use it for...

-mike

Do have, do love, good for almost anything. I would suggest NOT using it on *everything* though, as it certainly has a nice flava' that you don't want on absolutely every track. Same with anything, I guess...

There are also a few places that can hot-rod them relatively inexpensively... :eek: Although they kick some a$$ right out of the box.

Don't know why everybody doesn't have several...

thanks very much :]

sorry, i actually thought of another question though - any idea where the cheapest place to get one would be?

i've seen em for $330 online, and maybe i'm on crack but it seems like used ones don't seem to go for much less...

thanks again...

That's because they're underpriced! ;)

If you can get a new one at $330, that sounds pretty sweet.

I think I got my last one at RiksMusic.com - Probably around that same price.

I think they're pretty useful, but they seem to get abused a lot.

I realize they're pretty popular and seem to have a lot of cheerleaders these days, but my enthusiasm is a little more tempered. They're not particularly transparent, and like Massive says, might be thought of as situational or specialty players rather than workhorses. Should be used with caution.

deepwater said:
How about the ART MPA and DMPA Gold?

The Pro MPA is dark and muddy and when used on many tracks you get that mid range/honky/haze/mud thing going on. the box can be used for some interesting distortion effects by running a signal through both channels at once and tweaking with the tube drive.

if ART gave the option of a tube/solid state blend approach where you can take the tube out all togather, it would have been a decent box (as it does look nice and has some nice features) too bad nice sounding isnt one of them.

I'll sell you mine, its packed away!

Back