Array mic

Haven't done any surround recording as yet.
But I have been seeing full page ads for the Audio-Technica AT5040 in the audio rags that I receive.
HERE is a link about it.

Thanks for that info. Looks like a different approach than the other mic. Sooooo much to learn . . .

Paj

-Haven't done any surround recording as yet.
But I have been seeing full page ads for the Audio-Technica AT5040 in the audio rags that I receive.
HERE is a link about it.-

-What makes you assume it is a surround mic?

Matti

-Haven't done any surround recording as yet.
HERE is a link about it.-

-What makes you assume it is a surround mic?

Matti

Most array microphones that I've encountered are surround type that go on a table in a board meeting to record everyone around the table.

I kind of knew what Paj was getting at when he made this thread that's why I posted the link to the AT 5040. Not necessarily a surround microphone but an array microphone.

There are other companies and models though I believe that the AT is the cheapest array microphone.

I know huh!

Guess the AT 5040 isn't on your list for a new microphone purchase.

It would only be on my list if it was the best possible microphone of all time lol. Maybe if they installed a rubber vagina into it? Then it might be worth the money? It better be damn good lol...

It's only $3000 dollars... MOTHER FUNKER!

That's quite inexpensive really.

The Gefell KEM 970 line-array mic. has 8 very high quality capsules and costs around $12,000.

But when you can use just one mic. instead of a whole load of normal mics or a conference system it actually works out at the cheaper option.

That's quite inexpensive really.

The Gefell KEM 970 line-array mic. has 8 very high quality capsules and costs around $12,000.

But when you can use just one mic. instead of a whole load of normal mics or a conference system it actually works out at the cheaper option.

I could buy a Russian mail order bride for that kind of money!

You don't buy a Russian mail order bride--that's only a down payment. The ongoing costs can be huge because they're high maintenance.

Hmmm...maybe they're analogue!

Am pretty sure that is the system that NASA uses on their space missions.

I wouldn't trust it! :eek::D

OUCH! Having spent the past three years in a NASA-sponsored grant and the past three summers in sessions at the Goddard Space Center, I can only say that NASA and the people that work for it are amazing and couldn't make me prouder of America. While watching them routinely bounce laser beams off of satellites traveling at 18000mph and a few hundred miles up and away so they could adjust their orbits to within 1cm (by this summer it will be within 1mm), it dawned on me, since they were also bouncing lasers off of mirrors that they left on the moon in the 60s and 70s, that while our representatives cut their budget in the name of saving money for "our children", NASA is a group of people who are actually thinking beyond, planning beyond, and working beyond our grandchildren's time.
I got to see just mind-blowing stuff (including the new James Webb telescope being assembled and the acoustic chamber where they test for potential noise damage from rocket engines---now that's a WOOFER). I just can't say enough about, or for, the people that are working for us at NASA.

But . . . I digress: yes, it looks like the mic I linked to was designed for conferencing but I'm intrigued by the idea of a mic tracking a source.

Paj
8^)

Back