"Are You Ready" 7 words

acattoir

Here's a mix of keys, fretless, big drums, sax, acoustic, strat and 7 words.

Tryn' to be commercial here. Hope this appeals to somebody. Otherwise back to the composition drawing board. Comments, suggestions?

ac

Last edited:
Well I have to say that this type of music is definitely not my thing.
The piano and acoustic at the beginning are gorgeous though. The mix sounds good no nits from me.
If by commercial you mean radio you need some more lyrics.................. At least I think you do, since I know next to nothing about this genre.
What kind of acoustic is it and how did you record it? Sounds very nice.

Again standard disclaimer....listening on PC speakers.

Well I have to say that this type of music is definitely not my thing.
The piano and acoustic at the beginning are gorgeous though. The mix sounds good no nits from me.
If by commercial you mean radio you need some more lyrics.................. At least I think you do, since I know next to nothing about this genre.
What kind of acoustic is it and how did you record it? Sounds very nice.

Again standard disclaimer....listening on PC speakers.

Thanks for listening and responding. By commercial I mean: Would someone who listens to smooth jazz or mood music be willing to buy this or even go to the trouble to download it to their Ipod. I usually like my own stuff (of course) but that has little to do with anybody else's taste, so I toss things out to get a feel if I'm even on the right track.

The guitar was a lowly Ibanez EW20ASE, the figured ash model, plugged straight into the console.

Thanks again,
ac

Not my cup of tea necesarly (at least on most days) but the delivery was very very good.
Very nice piano and guitar at the beginning, the guitar has a little bit of that direct plug-in sound going on, but its allright.
Overall, no mayor nits from me but I am listening on PC speakers.

Mike

I love this kind of music. I like to meditate (and sometimes fall asleep to new age/smooth jazz instrumental stuff--Ed Van Fleet, anybody?) I liked this a lot. The DI edge on the guitar was a little, well, edgy, but the mood was still very cool.

Nice job... :D

Not my cup of tea necesarly (at least on most days) but the delivery was very very good.
Very nice piano and guitar at the beginning, the guitar has a little bit of that direct plug-in sound going on, but its allright.
Overall, no mayor nits from me but I am listening on PC speakers.

Mike

I would agree with your opinion about the guitar but as you said: "it's all right". My other acoustic (a nylon model) which I got rid of, sounded like a distorted sax when plugged in. But this guitar is gone too. I've got a Babicz now. It's sounds nice except around the 10th fret where it gets a little nasaly. I haven't found a really great acoustic. Probably cause I'm too cheap to spend the necessary $$$. Maybe you have a suggestion for something under 1k.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I'm just going to have to put up some stuff for all the "rockheads" out there.
ac

I love this kind of music. I like to meditate (and sometimes fall asleep to new age/smooth jazz instrumental stuff--Ed Van Fleet, anybody?) I liked this a lot. The DI edge on the guitar was a little, well, edgy, but the mood was still very cool.

Nice job... :D

Thanks Mr. WS. I tried to eq the quack out of the guitar, but as you know, it can't be done. I'm living with it for the moment. I may retrack but should move on probably. My Strat is blue and I was quite pleased with the sound I achieved with it. Sort of offsets the failings of the acoustic. ha ha
ac

Thanks Mr. WS. I tried to eq the quack out of the guitar, but as you know, it can't be done. I'm living with it for the moment. I may retrack but should move on probably. My Strat is blue and I was quite pleased with the sound I achieved with it. Sort of offsets the failings of the acoustic. ha ha
ac

You're welcome. I really enjoy your stuff. For an acoustic under 1K--I love my Seagull. Paid about $750 for an Artist Mosaic model, but I played sweet ones down to under $500.

It's got electronics, but I don't use 'em. I always record w/a mic. It's cedar, so it's darker and warmer sounding--records like a charm. Here it is recorded with a Rode NT5 (SDC):

You're welcome. I really enjoy your stuff. For an acoustic under 1K--I love my Seagull. Paid about $750 for an Artist Mosaic model, but I played sweet ones down to under $500.

It's got electronics, but I don't use 'em. I always record w/a mic. It's cedar, so it's darker and warmer sounding--records like a charm. Here it is recorded with a Rode NT5 (SDC):

Wow that was nice! I'm jealous. But I'm a drummer mostly so that makes me feel a little better.

I'll have to check out the Seagulls. I think they have a flock of them at GC. nark nark nark

ac

I really like this! :)

I think it could stand on it's own without the 7 words tho (half expected a George Carlin thing to jump out) ;)

You always get awesome and diverse drum mixes... Do you use triggers? Would love to hear more about your setup...

Good work!

:)

I really like this! :)

I think it could stand on it's own without the 7 words tho (half expected a George Carlin thing to jump out) ;)

You always get awesome and diverse drum mixes... Do you use triggers? Would love to hear more about your setup...

Good work!

:)
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate that you listened closely. This particular track was a Bonham stye kit, the only difference being a 14x10 stainless super sensitive snare. One stereo room mic, 1 mic on the rack tom, 1 mic covering both floors, and one condenser pointed directly at the side of the bottom snare rim. No hat mic, no overheads, no kik mic. The kick has an intact front head (26x18) This is not really the normal way to approach the drums on this kind of track, so I guess that's why I did it. I waste a lot of time re-inventing the wheel I'm afraid.
Thanks again,
ac

Congrats, another great song, Andy!

Beautifull piano intro/nice tone.
Drums sounds sweet and still "fat" (sub on BD).
Nice to see you got this sound with few mics.
Ac Guitar sounds good (for a "plugged" guitar),my personal taste would be to
cut the "bit" a bit - around 2khz- for a more "smooth" tone.

Overall performance pretty good as usual:cool:

Ciro

Congrats, another great song, Andy!

Beautifull piano intro/nice tone.
Drums sounds sweet and still "fat" (sub on BD).
Nice to see you got this sound with few mics.
Ac Guitar sounds good (for a "plugged" guitar),my personal taste would be to
cut the "bit" a bit - around 2khz- for a more "smooth" tone.

Overall performance pretty good as usual:cool:

Ciro
Thank you very much for the nice review. I'm with you on the guitar. I used up my meager eq resources on other problem spots with the guitar (that guitar is gone now). I only have a high and low shelf with a sweepable mid on my DAW. If I had been a little more discerning I could have eq'd going to the track. I usually run the inputs flat while tracking.

Is guitar your main instrument? Maybe you can recommend a steel string acoustic for under 1k that I might like. Whitestrat suggested a Seagull Artist. I have a Babicz now and it has a lot of really nice harmonic overtones but gets nasaly around the 10th fret so I may trade it off.

I've a long way to go on my guitar skills but am pleased that what I'm doing so far is at least listenable.

ac

Wow, you have a winner here. Other than the aforementioned DI acoustic (which honestly sounds like I've heard it in 'pro' recordings too), I can't say one thing you need to tweak or change.

Two thumbs and a squirrelly big toe way up!

Tell me, are you ready for...a nice piece. Not the tea I usually swill but very nice, relaxed and calm. The only thing I wasn't fussed on was the sax - too Kenny G for me. I'd have preferred a nice nylon string solo.
Cool!

Tell me, are you ready for...a nice piece. Not the tea I usually swill but very nice, relaxed and calm. The only thing I wasn't fussed on was the sax - too Kenny G for me. I'd have preferred a nice nylon string solo.
Cool!
Thank you very much for the nice words about the song. The sax is a little pedestrian I'll admit, but I didn't let that stop me from doing it anyway.

I have a new nylon string guitar coming, maybe I'll toy around with your suggestion.

ac

Back