Are "vintage" SM7's really any better?

scrubs

Not of sound mind
So, I frequently follow Shure SM7/SM7B auctions on e-bay, hoping I can pick one up at a reasonable price. However, they seem to sell very near the new price. Granted, a lot of them sell to buyers in Europe, since these puppies are considerably more expensive there. However, this really weirded me out. I mean, sure the buyer is in Denmark, but $760 for a "vintage" mic that can be had new under $320??? For a desireable mic that is no longer in production, I could understand, but this is ridiculous.

I think I've heard Harvey state that he hears no difference between newer and older SM7/SM7B mics. Also, most of the upgrades have been cosmetic. So, whaddya think? Is there a real difference in sound quality or build quality b/w these mics? And don't give me that "made in the USA" is always better than "hecho en Mexico" crap, because it just isn't so. Every American car I've owned has been crap ('course I've never owned a Mexican car). Companies move to mexico because labor is cheaper and environmental laws are lax - the product should be built to the same quality tolerances.

Just venting. :)

I've heard the same as you, I think the B model also has additional screening against intereference as a reaction to modern studios having c omputer monito rs but yeah I don't think there are any major sonic differences.

So, why are the older mo dels more expensive? 'Cos people are stupid. :D

I have two original model SM7s. I don't think there is any sonic difference. The mount is better on the SM7b, the cosmetics are a bit different (switches are exterior mount) and I understand there is more shielding, but I think they sound the same.

pohaku said:
I have two original model SM7s. I don't think there is any sonic difference. The mount is better on the SM7b, the cosmetics are a bit different (switches are exterior mount) and I understand there is more shielding, but I think they sound the same.

So actually, it sounds like the newer one may be a better deal.

From a case construction standpoint, yes. On the other hand, I only paid $200 apiece for each of my SM7s. Shure says they will sell me the newer mounting brackets which also will fit my mics -- although I don't have a price yet. We'll see. :D

a message from Harvey Gerst to me

Harvey Gerst said:
Phosphene said:
Hey,

Just a quick question. I saw a post somewhere where you said that you could not tell a bit of difference between an SM7 and SM7b that you had. Is this true?

Thanks,
Jeremiah

AFAIK, the only difference between the A and B is some extra shielding on the B and it now has a cover over the tone switches.

this was back in July of this year

i'm a big fan of the sm7 and i guess ihave an original. i've also used b's and they rule.

there was a mention when bruce sweiden was over at gear slutz that there is a difference.

i dunno. i'm getting another soon and buying new...my bracket is all shakey.

Mike

There is not a sonic difference between the two. You are all correct. The shielding was improved to protect when monitors were introduced into studios, and the mount was improved as well. Sonically, it is the exact same.

scrubs said:
So, I frequently follow Shure SM7/SM7B auctions on e-bay, hoping I can pick one up at a reasonable price. However, they seem to sell very near the new price. Granted, a lot of them sell to buyers in Europe, since these puppies are considerably more expensive there. However, this really weirded me out. I mean, sure the buyer is in Denmark, but $760 for a "vintage" mic that can be had new under $320??? For a desireable mic that is no longer in production, I could understand, but this is ridiculous.

I think I've heard Harvey state that he hears no difference between newer and older SM7/SM7B mics. Also, most of the upgrades have been cosmetic. So, whaddya think? Is there a real difference in sound quality or build quality b/w these mics? And don't give me that "made in the USA" is always better than "hecho en Mexico" crap, because it just isn't so. Every American car I've owned has been crap ('course I've never owned a Mexican car). Companies move to mexico because labor is cheaper and environmental laws are lax - the product should be built to the same quality tolerances.

Just venting. :)

Vintage is a buzzword for anything old that dumb people can spend too much on to re-live their youth.

A real "vintage" piece is one you can't get at all (like the U47) and is desireable because it is a great mic and you can't get a new one. Most "vintage" gear was the shit I threw out waay back that was indeed aweful sounding crap.

While my two used SM7's are neither vintage, nor rare, they both have a nice heritage:

The first was from Bruce Sweiden and may have been used by Michael Jackson at some point, although it is not "the" SM7 that Michael used on Thriller. It still has the blue and white Dymo label with Bruce Sweiden's name on it.

The second SM7 was from Mark Linnet and was used on several Beach Boys' albums.

Harvey Gerst said:

Next time you run into Mark, tell him I think he's the greatest ever :)

I mean, except for you of course :o

Harvey Gerst said:
While my two used SM7's are neither vintage, nor rare, they both have a nice heritage:

The first was from Bruce Sweiden and may have been used by Michael Jackson at some point, although it is not "the" SM7 that Michael used on Thriller. It still has the blue and white Dymo label with Bruce Sweiden's name on it.

Big Deal. I got my sm7 from the company Shure who MADE the mic that these guys used!

Beat that................................

So what. That's nothin'.

I got my SM7 from some guy. Forgot his name, but he worked behind the counter at the music store I ordered it from. Pretty friendly, good service, etc.

Wow! That's freaking amazing. For that kind of money I'll sell my 20-year old SM7 and buy TWO brand new SM7B mics! :eek:

That's just stoopid!

But what did PT Barnum say? "There's a sucker born every minute!"

thats nuts, huge commercial artists...

i gotta get one of those then..
Harvey Gerst said:

Back