are usb devices compatable w/ntrack?

swollenrod

i have been a long time user of ntrack and ive recently decided to upgrade some equipment so i have some questions. there are tons of things im interested in buying, but id really like the ease of usb instead of the old sound card/breakout box, but will ntrack recognise the source of sound if its streaming via usb? i absolutely hate cakewalk, never tried cubase, and found out today that protools mbox is not compatible with other software.
i basicly like the functionality of ntrack and dont wish to use anything else unless its practical that i do so. any suggestions?

thanks in advance. me

An audio application like n-Track doesn't have to be concerned about whether a particular soundcard is ISA, PCI, USB, or Firewire. It is up to the card's manufacturer to provide a driver that offers the necessary interface for software to communicate with the soundcard.

Thus, it shouldn't matter. Now, whether the card will get along with your system and n-track is a different matter...but it has little do do with the physicality of the soundcard.

PS - USB isn't a very efficient interface, and can only support 4 simultaneous tracks (recording). USB2 is more equivalent to firewire. They both have issues though....do some asking around in the computer forum. I think you'll find that if you're not traveling with the soundcard that it's better to go with a more standard PCI interface + breakout box.

Slackmaster 2000

P.S.2 - Protools hardware is only compatible with protools software because that's how the assholes have it rigged.

Slackmaster 2000

I can personally say that I have used n-track with an Edirol UA-5. I agree with slackmaster that with the exception of the digidesign stuff the maker of the sound interface should be irrelevant.

Back