Are these basses any good?

I used to play a Peavey bass. It was pretty nice. The actions was OK, and the sound was decent. Nothing to write home about.
You can always upgrade the pickups later if you have the money. Just make sure the neck is good.

Todd

I was in a band with a guy that played a Peavey Rudy Sarzo model. Again, it was OK. Nothing to write home about but the action was acceptable and sound was OK. He liked it a lot (he says better than my Rickenbacker but I think it was jealousy:D ).

I'd say if the intonation can be set correctly and it has no other "major" flaws, it sounds like a hell of a deal. That seems like a lot of guitar for 200 bucks. I'd go for it (blindly out of a cataloge/mail order store) if that is what I was looking for.

Track...I've had a couple people "scoff" at my Ric too... only because I think it brought out THEIR flaws!!;)

Let me "pick" your brains:

How would you compare them to a low-end Ibanez (like a gsr200 or its 5 string equivalent)?

I've always thought Ibanez gave you a good product for not too much money, but its been years since I've tried out new low end basses.

I'm wondering if that is a typo??!! Peavey makes pretty decent basses. I've never seen any of their models that cheap! Maybe they're a discontinued model? I'm very interested in this! Hmmmm...

Another major flaw with that particular bass is the tendency for the tuning keys to give on fast fret work and not bends. Plenty of graphite needed to keep keys correct as strings had to constantly be tuned.

Wanna cheap decent bass, check out a Squire.

MISTERQCUE said:

Wanna cheap decent bass, check out a Squire.

I would play this peavey over a squier any day. Especially since the pickups sound like they are nicer than the squier. Just IMHO

clif

DWBass said:
I'm wondering if that is a typo??!! Peavey makes pretty decent basses. I've never seen any of their models that cheap! Maybe they're a discontinued model? I'm very interested in this! Hmmmm...

Its not a typo, cuz alot of music stores online have it for approx. the same price... and its not a discontinued model, its a brand new model... Its in my new AMS catalog as a new product...

It is kinda hard to believe the price.. its made out of some pretty good materials...
I just might have to order one and find out.. most places wont have any for 3 or 4 more days...

Thanks guys for the input....

:) :eek:

Well I guess Peavey has joined the Korean factory fad!! They (the Koreans) must be laughing their asses off! I guess now that is officially the top of the line beginner bass!

I just got through ordering one , no one had any in stock yet till now...
Musician's Friend is the only place I could find one, and I got it for $199 too..
plus free shipping cause I ordered a SM57 and one of those new Tascam US-122 interfaces for my laptop....

Now the hard part.... Waiting!!

:eek: :p

Good old dependable peavey. For the price you cant beat the sound. Just for God's sake dont buy a fender. All fender have this horrible gritty metalic twangy sound. The bass player in my band just bought a home practice bass, and it was something called a slammer. He picked it up for $159.99. He said he liked it more that this $2000.00 six string fender that was hanging next to it. He also really likes the Ibanez alot. Just my 2 cents!

I'm not a Fender fan either...

Anyway I already ordered the Peavey, and it should be here Wednesday...

Hopefully it will rock.... I'll report back with an honest review... :)

I have a Peavy Foundation. They are great for basic bottom end playing. Add a decent bass pedal and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Cy

Cyrokk said:
I have a Peavy Foundation. They are great for basic bottom end playing. Add a decent bass pedal and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Cy

I'll probably play it through my Boss VF-1 multi effects, it has quite a few bass effects/settings....
Might even try it through my POD XT see what that sounds like...

:eek: :)

There are too many vairables. Peavy basses come in all kinds. I play a Peavy Paladium wich is a great sounding, heavy bass. It almost has a nice, woody musicman growl to it.
I would not buy that bass without hearing it first.

jake-owa said:
There are too many vairables. Peavy basses come in all kinds. I play a Peavy Paladium wich is a great sounding, heavy bass. It almost has a nice, woody musicman growl to it.
I would not buy that bass without hearing it first.

I couldn't play it first cuz I live nowhere near any music stores, so I had to take the chance its not a pile of junk..

But its only 200 bucks and as long as it plays fairly good I'll be happy.. I can always upgrade the pickups, so as long as the action is descent then its cool....
and I'm not a bass player, I'm only gonna use it for a little bass on recordings so I'm not looking for anything special..

But who knows it might be a sleeper...:confused: :D

Last edited:
I bought a Dean Rhapsody hollow body at a pawn shop for $145 for the very same reason. I'm sure you'll find something with the Peavy that's a little less than desirable.. just like the Dean's action is just a touch high... then again I'm not a bass player so what the hell do I know. That quilted top on the Peavy is sweet though, that's gotta be worth something.

bd

Back