Are coincident and near coincident recording mostly done with small diaphragam mics?

Noting special. I have a simple T-bar for mounting two mics that I have used for both dynamic and LDC stereo pairs (as well as SDC), in both X/Y and ORTF configuration. Ten bucks or so from Guitar Center, no big deal. The LDCs may have to go without shockmount to fit though. If I had to use shockmounts, I'd just use two seperate stands.

The only difficulty is if it's a large front-address-style mic, like a particularly thick LDD (e.g. Senheiser 421, EV RE20, etc.), it can be a bit small and inflexible to physically fit them in an X/Y configuration, but I've never had a need to do that anyway.

I've never tried this, but you could always add some flexible goosenecks to the end to the T-bar to get more physical seperation, I guess. It might get a bit top-heavy, maybe, in which case I'd just move to two stands.

G.

For an extra ten bucks or so you can get a t-bar that you can mount 3 mics on. They have enough room to mount 2 LDC's with shockmounts if you use just the two outside mounts.

Back