Are CAD mics any good?

Han

Hi all

Got a booklet from a gearpimp today, offering new CAD mics for low prices.

The GXL1200 small diaphragm true condenser for 40 euro
The GXL2200 Large D C (it looks like a LDC) for 50 euro
The GXL2400 also a LDC? for 60 euro

The mics look pretty good, does anybody have experience with one of these mics?

Have a nice day!

The Global Audio line (GXL stuff) is distributed by CAD but built in China I believe. They're not really "CAD" mics as far as I understand.

War

For straight voice work, the CAD GXL2400 works well. I did a comparison of several mics, including the GXL2400.

http://www.anthonymedia.com/booth/mics_compared.htm

I like the 2400 for commercial voice work that requires voice over music/efx. It doesn't seem to react to proximity as much as other mics I've used. It also cuts through better in a mix; it's crisper in the mids and highs. For longer narrative pieces, I find myself reaching for my Groove Tube GT-66 tube mic for a fuller bottom end.

I gotta add that I own 2 GXL2400's. Sometimes a project will stretch over several weeks. I was concerend about changing out mics midstream in a project, so I bought a second one in case the first one fizzled. I also wanted to see if there was a difference from mic to mic. Bought 'em a different times from different dealers. They sound exactly alike. No problem switching between them.

Thanks for responding. I've listened to the MP3's of the TLM103, the GLX2400, V67 and MD421.

I must say the TLM103 pleases me most on this voice (nice voice), but the GLX2400 seems a good deal to me, for 60 euro in the Netherlands, where a SP B1 costs 100 euro ex VAT and that's the old price, it probably will be more now.

Anybody with some music? I'm also interested in the sound of the GXL1200.

Having owned the GXL1200 (ordered them as a stereo pair. Call CAD if you want to do that, and they'll ship your matched pair out to a dealer...) I'll put in a vote of confidence. If you can't afford, say, the Marshall 603s, this does rather nicely on most stuff (OH, guitar, strings...). Though now they have those MXL 991 and 993 mics that are even cheaper than the 603s...

I've heard nasty stuff about the GXL2200 back in the day, and wasn't exactly enthralled with the sound myself, but like Steve says, the 2400 is a decent mic, certainly a worthy competitor to the under $100 crowd.

I have a CAD E350 and it works very well for a lot of purposes... They've replaced it by another model now, but I think it's a made in the usa mic...

Their GXLs are made in China, no question. Everything else is either made in the US (the E and V series) or assembled (the M series uses Chinese capsules in American bodies.)

Han said:
Hi all

Got a booklet from a gearpimp today, offering new CAD mics for low prices.

The GXL1200 small diaphragm true condenser for 40 euro
The GXL2200 Large D C (it looks like a LDC) for 50 euro
The GXL2400 also a LDC? for 60 euro

The mics look pretty good, does anybody have experience with one of these mics?

Have a nice day!

Hi Han,

I'd be interested in getting those GXL 1200, what company is offering them?

Thanks,

Paddy

Back