Are amp wheels bad for speakers?

BillC15

I have a heavy Vox twin combo that I'm thinking of mounting some swivel wheels on because lugging it around is beginning to piss me off. I know I could lose some bottom end from the amp not having direct contact with the floor, but what I'm wondering is, will the vibrations from the amp rolling on pavement do any damage to the speakers or any other components of the amp?

I have a heavy Vox twin combo that I'm thinking of mounting some swivel wheels on because lugging it around is beginning to piss me off. I know I could lose some bottom end from the amp not having direct contact with the floor, but what I'm wondering is, will the vibrations from the amp rolling on pavement do any damage to the speakers or any other components of the amp?

I've never heard of casters causing damage to speakers or amps. When you think about it the whole system is made to vibrate, just don't roll it off the loading dock and you should be fine.

You might more mileage (no pun intended :) ) out of something like this:

http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashdetail.aspx?id=556

smartcart_lg.jpg

I use ernie ball "pop out" casters. When I feel the need, I pull them out to keep the amp from moving around. They're good quality, and reasonable too. Around 29 bucks for a set of four. I've never had an issue with the extra vibrations, although I always check to make sure the tubes are firmly seated before I power up.

I've never understood putting casters on a cab. A dolly will roll it a LOT better and easier than those little casters plus you can use it for your other gear.

I've never heard of casters causing damage to speakers or amps. When you think about it the whole system is made to vibrate, just don't roll it off the loading dock and you should be fine.

Its made to vibrate? :rolleyes:

I don't see anything happening going to a show, but if you play a tube amp, you need to let it cool down before moving it....which is not always an option at shows. I don't see 2" solid plastic wheels as being a good idea.

A hand truck with pneumatic tires.

I had an old Crate 212 with casters, but that was a solid state amp. Never had any trouble. But off hand cannot think of any tube amps I have seen with them.

Its made to vibrate? :rolleyes:

I don't see anything happening going to a show, but if you play a tube amp, you need to let it cool down before moving it....which is not always an option at shows. I don't see 2" solid plastic wheels as being a good idea.

A hand truck with pneumatic tires.

I had an old Crate 212 with casters, but that was a solid state amp. Never had any trouble. But off hand cannot think of any tube amps I have seen with them.

I had a Fender Twin II with OEM casters. Needed them too!

Casters are a standard Fender accessory:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0994000000

A handtruck would be the cheapest option but you could always buy or make a well ventilated roadcase for your amp.I'm not saying to leave it in the roadcase all the time but something with a base on wheels and a cover to slide down over your amp that would clip in place shouldn't be too hard to find.

Vibration= sound. speakers= chopped liver?
but those vibrations are pretty mild compared to bouncing it along a rough boardwalk or something.

Also ...... speaker vibrations can damage tubes. One time I was playing thru an Ampeg Reverbrocket reissue and it was shoved up against the bass players amp and he was playing loud. I actually could hear the vibration causing issues in the tubes and after a few songs I moved the amp but it was too late ............. ruined power tubes.
Old Ampeg amps often have the amp suspended on a spring system to cushion them.

Yo Bill C15! I won't comment on the wheels thing, you've had plenty of good answers. But what is this business about losing low frequencies because your amp is off the floor? Do you play in clubs with floors tuned as resonating diaphragms? Guess I'll have to get rid of my amp stands, which are used in most major studios and by many touring groups! Getting an amp or cab off the floor *improves* bass output, not the other way around.-Richie

Yo Bill C15! I won't comment on the wheels thing, you've had plenty of good answers. But what is this business about losing low frequencies because your amp is off the floor? Do you play in clubs with floors tuned as resonating diaphragms? Guess I'll have to get rid of my amp stands, which are used in most major studios and by many touring groups! Getting an amp or cab off the floor *improves* bass output, not the other way around.-Richie

+1. Most studio guys take steps to isolate the vibration of the cab from the floor, to prevent unwanted sympathetic vibrations.

Back