Arched bridge for bowing guitar

Pirateking

This is kind of a weird question....
I've been playing around with bowed guitar, and I like the way it sounds, but since the strings are all at the same height from the body, you can't play the middle 4 strings individually. That is, you can play the high or low E strings individually by angling the bow, but if you try and play any of the other strings individually, you end up bowing all the strings.
Would it be possible to install an arched bridge on an electric guitar so that the strings are at different heights over the pickups, allowing you to bow each string seperately without bowing the others? I guess one problem would be different volumes for each string, since it would be a different distance from the pickup. The other problem is you would probably have to design/build it yourself, at least that's a problem for me. Has anyone ever done this, or been witness to someone else having done it?

If your guitar saddles are all level,that is wrong to begin with.Use a steel rule to set the height you want ,following the curvature of the fingerboard.
Guitar fingerboards are cut from a large circle.If memory serves,Fender types are cut from a 9 or 10 foot circle and Gibbys are like 13 or so.
You can exadurate the saddles curvature for the purpose of bowing however.Set your outside Es as low as they will go without scraping the frets and the D and G as high as they will go.Split the difference with the A and the B.Hold the axe up to your eye-level and check the roundness of your radius.That is probably the best you can do with everything stock.

Back