Appying stereo reverb...

doriangrey

1. Do you apply stereo or mono reverb to 2 mono tracked rhythm guitar tracks panned left and right?

2. What instruments do you guys usually apply stereo reverb to during mixdown?

1. I would bounce them down to one stereo track and use a stereo verb.

2. Any source that has been recorded in stereo.

doriangrey said:
1. Do you apply stereo or mono reverb to 2 mono tracked rhythm guitar tracks panned left and right?

2. What instruments do you guys usually apply stereo reverb to during mixdown?

I apply stereo reverbs to tracks that are panned. This way, the main signals in panned, but the reverb comes back on both channels. I think it fills in some of the spaces better and makes hard panning less obvious.

Any source that has been recorded in stereo.

So your saying that you don't add a stereo reverb to your main vocal that's in mono? I thought this was a common practice?

I would bounce them down to one stereo track and use a stereo verb.

If you bounce them to stereo, then you wouldn't have the luxury of panning the tracks to your liking, right?

scrubs said:
I apply stereo reverbs to tracks that are panned. This way, the main signals in panned, but the reverb comes back on both channels. I think it fills in some of the spaces better and makes hard panning less obvious.

I applied a stereo Guitar Room verb to 2 mono rhythm guitar tracks panned 9 o'clock left and 3 o'clock right and I thought it came out pretty nice.

I almost never use a mono reverb. I always use a send for reverb so it doesn't matter what the source is.

If you bounce them to stereo, then you wouldn't have the luxury of panning the tracks to your liking, right?

When you bounce your 2 tracks to stereo pan one hard left and one hard right. This way you will still have complete control over the panning of the individual tracks.

1) Mono reverb's image can be a bit more focussed and steerable. Pan it behind, or across the stage. Behind on up the center 'voices, with the other stereo stuff around it in the mix, it might pull a bit of v-depth to the stage if that makes sense.
I don't think to do it all that often though.
2) See above. :rolleyes: :D
Wayne

I usually apply stereo reverb across the whole mix. I don't apply it to separate tracks. And I NEVER record it....

you do lose flexibility when converting 2 mono tracks to stereo. Stereo panning is actually balance, and not pan. Once you go stereo you lose the ability to change the placement of both the tracks and the ability to manipulate the volume of one of them without affecting the other. The only reason I can see to combine tracks to a single stereo track is if you need to free up tracks on an outboard recorder (i.e. bouncing) or you needed to free up CPU power. In both these scenarios though the only way it would truly help you is if you were combining three or more mono tracks into a single stereo track.

Back