Applying one mix to many songs

Douhgy

Does anyone know how I can do a mix on one song in Sonar 2.0 and have it load those same fader and effect values into other projects? In other words, I want to do one basic mix for all of the songs in my project, without having to re-load everything. (The tracks are assigned to exactly the same place in each project)

I know that you can set up a template so that when you record all your tracks are set up the way you like, however from my experience I don't think you can 'copy' a whole mix and apply it to other songs... you might be able to create a template, then load the wav files from each song using the template....

Check the manual for saving templates.

Porter

BTW in saying this I'm assuming SONAR... if will most likely be the same for other Cakewalk programs :D

When you copy or clone a track, you can direct Sonar to keep the associated envelopes with them. Further, when you delete (via right-click) a track or clip, you can direct Sonar to leave the envelopes in place. Any new material recorded or pasted there will assume those envelopes.

Maybe then you could save as a template and go from there.

There are a few settings and boxes you need to be aware of to make it happen - nothing tough though. Check the help file, but I think it will do what you're asking.

the only problem is that I have already recorded all my tracks and I am now into the mixing stage. I can't go back and re-record everything with a template.

Ah, I see the problem now....hmmm...

If it's not too many tracks, you may try this route anyway. Your task's remedy fast becomes a choice of which is more efficient: building the mix each time from 'scratch' per song, or importing wavs on a template that has things already set. As far as effect settings go, saving them as a preset can save a bunch of time - then I don't know how any tracks your're dealing with.

I'm not sure there is a way to do what you specifically want afterall...the only thing I would try is to copy just the envelopes from the good mix and see if they paste onto respective tracks in other songs (although I don't think this is possible.) I'll look around when I get home this evening...maybe someone else can confirm this before then. Sorry.

Good luck!

Yes!

Beleive it or not, I wondered about that after typing the last stuff...I had to get back to work, so no follow-up. I think James has the answer. I don't know that my projects will ever have a call to all be mixed identically, but I think this is the way to go should that need ever arise.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll try that. In repsonse to mixing all the songs in the project the same... I just want to have a common reference point on all the songs. Then I will go into each song and make unique changes/effects so that each song is mixed individually. During tracking, everything was recorded with the exact same settings, so a general mix is going to be really handy. It would be nice if sonar had a "Save mix settings" and "Load mix settings" so this could all be automated.

Back