Applying an effect

XCalibur

Often times I want to take a sound (note, voice or something) and apply a cakeWalk "echo" to it ...but it does it "in-place" and doesn't carry the effect out.. For example, suppose I have 1/4 measure highlighted ..I want to apply "echo" to this and have it echo out for 2 full measures ...but it doesn't work like that. Normally, you think of an echo "repeating" over time.
|--1/4--|
just here ...want it to actually echo it over a span and create new data like
|--1/4--||--1/4--||--1/4--||--1/4--||--1/4--||--1/4--|...

Does anyone understand what I mean? A couple of times I wanted to end my tune with the last note/sound echoed out for a 5 or 8 seconds and fading , but have not been able to figure out how to do that.

Not sure but you can try this

select the note you want to echo. Right-click the note->MIDI Effects->Cakewalk FX->Echo Delay. Set the number of echoes to the number of 1/4 notes that you want (in this case 8). Now change the Delay Units paramater to "Notes". This will then change the delay option into a note format (i.e. 1/32nd, 1/16, etc.) You can now select that to 1/4 note. This should work. If you want to save this as a preset, just type in the name you want at the top of the Echo Delay dialogue box and your good to go. Just to be sure it's right, Audition the effect.

Dick

Re: Not sure but you can try this

Evildick said:
select the note you want to echo. Right-click the note->MIDI Effects->Cakewalk FX->Echo Delay. Set the number of echoes to the number of 1/4 notes that you want (in this case 8). Now change the Delay Units paramater to "Notes". This will then change the delay option into a note format (i.e. 1/32nd, 1/16, etc.) You can now select that to 1/4 note. This should work. If you want to save this as a preset, just type in the name you want at the top of the Echo Delay dialogue box and your good to go. Just to be sure it's right, Audition the effect.

Dick

I'm applying strickly to finished wav stuff ...never MIDI

Then echo the audio

A way of getting this to work for the end of the song, would be to create an audio loop of whatever you want echoed. Repeat that loop however many times you want the echo to last at the end of the song. Now select all of the loops as a whole and apply the echo effect with the parameters that you want.

Now all the loops are the same volume and echoing the way you want to. Now create an envelope spanning across all the loops to lower the volume so it appears to fade out but retains the echo. Essentially, you are letting SONAR automate a fader for you doing it this way. I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to do this, but I just tried it out and it appeared to work.

If it's during a song, you may have to use the same procedure but place a copy of the echo on a seperate track and apply the effect there using the above procedure.

Hope this helps a little,

Dick

>>A way of getting this to work for the end of the song, would be
>>to create an audio loop of whatever you want echoed. Repeat
>>that loop however many times you want the echo to last at
>>the end of the song. Now select all of the loops as a whole
>>and apply the echo effect with the parameters that you want.

Yeah...thats what I did do. I wasn't very "real" tho. It just seems to me that the "echo" effect would have to "echo" over time in order to be a real effect. I can't echo over Zero time with my effects processor (GP 100) - and it makes sense that I can't. But SONAR lets you do just that .... it really isn't an echo at all.

I'm not following your last post very well. Is there a reason you can't get an echo effect, either hardware (if thats the GP100) or the Cake echo plugin, to have some feedback or sometimes it's called regeneration?
Sorry if i'm just way off.
Wayne

Back