Apology

singlespeak

Hi all,

I apologize for my last post, had a small breakdown there. I know this post doesn't belong in the clinic but I impulsively closed my last thread. Feel free to remove after a while.

It's just hard, as most of you probably know, to expose myself and take criticism. It's a bad trait of mine to not be able to deal with it very well at all times. I've gotten better, but an attack on "songwriting" was just a tad too much there. I've been doing that since I was 12, that's 60% of my life.

FadeToMuffins, no hard feelings man. That goes for everyone else too. I've cooled down a bit, I'm not stopping with music. I'll get wasted tonight and get back on the horse tomorrow. I appreciate all the listens and comments. I'm just in a bad space and I should've done what I've told myself a thousand times: cool off first, then post.

Sorry.

Hi all,

I apologize for my last post, had a small breakdown there. I know this post doesn't belong in the clinic but I impulsively closed my last thread. Feel free to remove after a while.

It's just hard, as most of you probably know, to expose myself and take criticism. It's a bad trait of mine to not be able to deal with it very well at all times. I've gotten better, but an attack on "songwriting" was just a tad too much there. I've been doing that since I was 12, that's 60% of my life.

FadeToMuffins, no hard feelings man. That goes for everyone else too. I've cooled down a bit, I'm not stopping with music. I'll get wasted tonight and get back on the horse tomorrow. I appreciate all the listens and comments. I'm just in a bad space and I should've done what I've told myself a thousand times: cool off first, then post.

Sorry.

nice one

every single person in here (except a few bastards <envy> ) gets their first attempts shot down...not because people are mean but because they are honest and want to help

and every single one of us thought we sounded great because we actually got several instruments, some of which we barely play, to sound almost coherent together..

but I can tell you, hard practise, reading...but most importantly for me..honest critiques from fellow musicians, will get you there...

now about that fizzy guitar :)

Lol. Yeah, you had a little meltdown.

Maybe I can give you a little piece of clinic advice or advice in general about making your own music:

Don't give a fuck what anyone says about your songs.

It's just that simple. If you like it, it's good, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.

But.....do take mix advice seriously. Mix comments can be useful. People hear things differently, but if 5 or 6 people say the same thing, chances are they're on to something. Try to hear what others hear and decide for yourself if it's something you wanna fix. Practice your own critical listening and compare it with things you like. That's the only way to get better.

oh and remember some people are just wrong lol...try getting a classical musician to comment on speed metal and you will inevitably end up with differing views because he doesnt get the vision, and vice versus...one mans dissonance is another mans quirky

Lol. Yeah, you had a little meltdown.

Maybe I can give you a little piece of clinic advice or advice in general about making your own music:

Don't give a fuck what anyone says about your songs.

It's just that simple. If you like it, it's good, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.

But.....do take mix advice seriously. Mix comments can be useful. People hear things differently, but if 5 or 6 people say the same thing, chances are they're on to something. Try to hear what others hear and decide for yourself if it's something you wanna fix. Practice your own critical listening and compare it with things you like. That's the only way to get better.

^^^this^^^^

and always listen to what the G says about drums...the fooker is never wrong...never :mad: :D

^^^this^^^^

and always listen to what the G says about drums...the fooker is never wrong...never :mad: :D

G probably gets sick of me talking him up all the time, but... I back this 100%. 80% of everything I'm doing right now to record my drums is due to advice given to me by HIM. Heh... When I entered here and posted my first song, the first thing Greg said to me is "your drums sound dead and flat." I've been playing drums for 20 years. That was NOT easy to hear... But, instead of thinking he was a prick who didn't know jack, I went and listened to some of his stuff, and immediately started taking his counsel to heart. I asked all sorts of questions... Heck, I even asked him to post me a drum-only mix of one of his songs AND HE DID IT! That has been invaluable to me. Why all this interest in him and his drum techniques? Because his drums sound FLIPPIN' AMAZING!!! ... and now mine are on their way.

Pick 'n' choose who you take advice from, but don't quit, bro. Keep on keepin' on, and as long as you at least *try* to improve, this place can be a hugely valuable resource.

G probably gets sick of me talking him up all the time, but... I back this 100%. 80% of everything I'm doing right now to record my drums is due to advice given to me by HIM. Heh... When I entered here and posted my first song, the first thing Greg said to me is "your drums sound dead and flat." I've been playing drums for 20 years. That was NOT easy to hear... But, instead of thinking he was a prick who didn't know jack, I went and listened to some of his stuff, and immediately started taking his counsel to heart. I asked all sorts of questions... Heck, I even asked him to post me a drum-only mix of one of his songs AND HE DID IT! That has been invaluable to me. Why all this interest in him and his drum techniques? Because his drums sound FLIPPIN' AMAZING!!! ... and now mine are on their way.

Pick 'n' choose who you take advice from, but don't quit, bro. Keep on keepin' on, and as long as you at least *try* to improve, this place can be a hugely valuable resource.

Aw shucks, thanks dude. :o

While we're stroking eachother's penises, I'm gonna lay my hands on Rami's. When I first got here, I heard his mixes and was blown away. I've said it many times, he really opened my eyes to whats possible with good playing, good tuning, simple attention to detail, and modest gear. Rami's mixes are instantly identifiable, and that's cool.

How I love the conversations between you two.....:laughings::drunk:

No, Single, really, the first stuff I posted here was pretty bad, but I didn't give up. Just keep at it, take the advice and you'll get there. I listened to your song in the other thread and the guys pointed out the things you have to work on. Heck, we all started somewhere, it just takes time. And you're on that road now, 'cos your music really isn't bad. Put the music in front and just do what the song needs. We've got such a great community here and the advice you get is invaluable. This site has been the biggest help for me to get my mixes to sound respectable. And if anyone here is blessed with golden ears, it's Greg.....:D

Back