Apogee Duet Firewire wire replacements and advice?

KingKrule

No idea how I've only just discovered this gem of a site! Basically my problem is that I've bought a used Apogee Duet Firewire and the only cables it's come with are the breakout cable. If I'm right there should be two others (the firewire 800 connectors I think) that should enable me to connect to my macbook?

So far I've been on the Apogee Digital support and asked about direct replacements since it's still under warranty but no reply yet. Also tried ringing some local shops (I'm based in the UK) but they had no real answer for replacing the original wires. I had been hoping to replace the missing wires like-for-like, however after the difficulties encountered it's eventually lead to my big question....

Does anyone know of any other firewire (800) cables that might be as good or perhaps better than the originals? Has anyone else has a similar problem? I'm not fussed over the 'Apogee' name for them, more over the performance!!

Thanks!! I hope I've posted in the right thread ?

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a bog standard 6pin firewire 400 port.

The breakout cable is likely to be unique to the apogee, but the FW is just FW.
Kinda like USB. Any brand will do.

If you only have FW800 ports on your MBP you can use an adaptor or just pick up a 400 to 800 cable.

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up for me. In terms of your reference to USB, I've used USBs in the past which have been cheap and cheerful, and as a result the performance has suffered (ie a lot of latency!). Would you say it's therefore worth spending a little bit extra on the FW cable to get the best out of it?

I've been eyeing up either of these?...

Neo/Oyaide Firewire Cable 1m 6 Pin - 9 Pin (400-800)
Belkin 9-Pin to 6-Pin FireWire 800/400 Cable
(Sorry I can't post URLs yet as I'm a noob and under 10 posts on this forum still)
Although I've noticed on specs for the latter that it only "Transfers data without errors at rates of up to 400Mbps". Would this be a problem?

To be honest I'm surprised you saw performance drops using cheap and cheerful USB cables.
I didn't think that was possible, but I'm not equipped to argue it.

Maybe someone else can chime in?

Personally, I just bought whatever cable was £3 on ebay that day. ;)

A firewire cable is a firewire cable. Heavier will stand up to abuse on your desk, but the data transfer is likely to be the same regardless of the price. You are correct in that you need a 400/800 adapter wire. Belkin has a good reputation for durability, and it was on your list.

I had a FW Duet for years. Great little unit - killer preamps and built like a tank. Enjoy it!

Yeah I'm going to go for a Belkin I think, they seem to have positive reviews all round and not badly priced. After having the Duet for over a month it's going to be so nice to finally use it! I've heard lots of good things. Hopefully my next posts will be in the 'marketing your music' section ��

Thanks both of you for your feedback, really appreciated!

Back