Apocalyptic Fairy Tale Music - hoping for some feedback.

toymaker

We're also looking for suggestions for improving this mix - do you have any?

This is the 3rd track from our ep - we're are hoping to get some feedback before we send it out for mastering.

Thanks!

It sounds perfect to me, it sounds like you have a slip up on the guitar at :13 but its nothing big. I love this song, who is this so I can follow them and maybe buy this ep. Where did you record this?

Those s's on the vox sound pretty toppy for a pre-master. I'd darken that a little so it's not as sibilant.

The mix sounds really good, but I think soundcloud encoded this badly enough that it's hard to tell if some perceived flaws are just from the file compression. Would love to hear a 320 mp3 or something.

michael - thank you very much for the helpful feedback. we recorded everything ourselves using pro tools, a few sheets of acoustic foam and a few microphones (UA Solo 610 preamp / Apogee Duet interface).

our band is called Dirty Grace. I'll message you the website address.

Flubly - I will back off on the 10k boost for the vox. thanks! i uploaded a 320 mp3 - i'm not sure what soundcloud does, if anything, to further compress.

Al - we love this effect too...perfect for the atmosphere we wanted to create. thanks for saying so - we appreciate you taking the time.

we feel encouraged by all of you - thanks. :)

this is really impressive it sounds like it was done in a professional studio, after listening to this more I love the harmonies, I liked your page on facebook and reverbnation

thanks again everyone.
ok, here's the updated mix:

changes:
used more compression/eq/de-esser to bring vocals to forefront and correct sibilance
panned piano/bells/guitar a bit harder to clear room for vocals
panned b/u vocals a bit harder each side, same reason
eq'd the guitar a bit in the upper freq's

michael - i saw that you liked us on FB. thanks man - i see you're in Utah. i hope we can play there someday. :)

The second mix is way better IMO. The vocals are way less harsh. The panning helps widen things too. If your compression on vocals is causing too much sibilance you can cut some 7-8 K with an eq pre compressor, and add some back in after the compressor has hit it. Or some compressors have a side chain that you can set to not compress in the sibilant freq. Seems as though you've managed to fix the problem though.

Very tastefully done. I really like some of the percussion. I love it when I can't tell what something is, but it sounds cool. Great ending too.

If I were mixing this, I might cut a little more highs from the harmony vox just to get them to sit a little bit behind the lead vox. Also could use a bigger reverb, or longer delay on the harmonies, whichever you're using to separate them a little bit more from the lead vox. It sounds really good as is. Any suggestions at this point are extreme fine tuning.

Let us know when it's finished and available for purchase

I personally like the harmonies being as present as they are in this song at least. And the vocals are much better, the S's are definitely fixed.

A couple things to maybe consider:
At 2:47 whatever the background percussive sound is, maybe make it a little louder I like the sound but it seems a little buried.

At 3:30 - 3:35 you have a little mouth sound like your lips opening, since it is a quieter part those noises are more obvious.

I like the breathe noises (I like how you kept them in) from 3:20-4:00 they add but sometimes they are a little loud especially the quick short ones (even when harmonies come into until 4:02).

After 5:20 you have some random noises that are now exaggerated with your panning, one at 5:22 that's a little to the right and one at 5:23 that is more to the right.

These are all just little things. It sounds amazing. If anything I will definitely be buying this song when it is released. Hopefully I made sense.

thanks again - this is all extremely helpful.

i will post again once the song has been mastered and released (our deadline is August 12th, since that's when the Canadian tour starts).

:)

Back