Aphex 651 and Phonic stuff

neno

Today I must decide between used Aphex Expressor 651 and Focusrite Compounder for same price (300$). I've tried to find used TC Electronic Triple C but it seems that nobody is willing to part with them and not much people know about this toned down TC multiband. As I mentioned in earlier post I will be using dynamics processor on gigs,not for recording music. I need transparent uncolored but not thin sounding dynamics unit.

The other question is regarding Phonic T8200 Tube Optimizer. I will need some warm sounding something for recording vocals with Rane ms 1b preamp. I don't have budget for high end tube equipment. Where does this Phonic stuff stand in comparison to budget Focusrite, Presonus etc.? Would it be better to use Rane on acoustic guitar and percussion and buy Tampa for vocal recording? Phonic is suspiciously cheap but ih has great looks which makes me even more suspicious about their quality. I found only one review for T8200 on Phonic website.

I have some Aphex 9651 compressor modules, the same as the rack unit electronically, but modular. The Expressor is a very clean compressor, a high quality unit in my opinion.

As far as the phonic, I'm not familiar with it. However, I am put off immediately by its name, "tube optimizer". That, plus the fact that it is cheap but looks great, makes me very suspicious. Seems at first glance like a waste of money.

Take a look at the Groove Tubes BRICK preamp. If you can swing it financially, it would be worlds better than the other options you are considering at this point.

Thanks Sonic.
I'll go with Aphex.

I've always thougt about Rane ms 1b as ugliest brick in a world of pres but now seeing Groove Tube's Brick I think I'll have to compensate somehow for two ugliest preamps in my recording setup if I decide to buy GT:) Perhaps getting some Funky Logic rack stuff will do.
I have some other ugly industrial looking hardware thanks to this site and I'm very happy with it's quality but my little studio is begginng to look like truck factory disposal:)

What do you think, how would GT Brick work as vocal preamp? I need warm preamp for smooth deeper male vocals?
Would it perform better than Grace 101?

Back