aphex 107

HearClear

I was considering buying an aphex 107 preamp. I found a new one for $200. I wanted to know if any one else here uses one, and if you do, do you like it? What mics do you use?
I'll be running an AT 3525 & shure 849 through it.
thanks.

If you're gonna go cheap, either spend an extra hundred and get a Mackie 1202 with FOUR preamps, or get two ART Tube MP's.
Or, wait another month and get the RNMP, which will most likely blow both of these outta the water :)
Focusrite has a special on the ISA 110 for $1800... you could get that... :)

Thanks for the advice but I've heard the Art mps aren't very nice, and if you're on a low budget going with solid state is better than cheap tube preamps. I know this is all opinions but if you could explain why i'd appriciate it.
thank you.

Re: Apex 107

I own an Apex 107 and like it. Keep in mind though, it only has
XLR inputs. Craig Anderton, the author of many recording articles
and books, indicated on a post on eqmag.com that he also owns
and uses one-good enough for me!

Re: microphones

Sorry that my response was incomplete. I use the following mikes with the the Aphex 107; Audio-Technica at 3527,
Shure SM-57, Sennheiser 421, AKG D790, and (soon to arrive) Shure Beta 87a.

Henri- you are correct

Then get the Mackies, they are as close to good as you can get for cheap.

Universal Audio has a dual channel pre for $2400 ;)

Re: Re: Apex 107

chessparov said:
I own an Apex 107 and like it. Keep in mind though, it only has
XLR inputs. Craig Anderton, the author of many recording articles
and books, indicated on a post on eqmag.com that he also owns
and uses one-good enough for me!

Craig Anderton is the very Father of the Home Studio.

Much of the stuff he wrote in the first edition of _Home Recording for Musicians_ was excellent and timeless advice that will save you big bucks even today.

I believe he was also a fan of the semi-extinct SeaSound.

BTW, are we discussing the Aphex or the Apex?

Having both the 107 and a Mackie 1202 I can honestly say the 107 leaves Mackie in the dust. I don't know what guys see in those pres. Very thin and brittle. 107 always gets used. But I also like the now-extinct Bellari 220 as well. You can pick up one of these for a song. They have so much gain you can get that old Bong Crosby tone. Way too cool. This is my favorite for rock n Roll

cerealchamp2000 said:
Having both the 107 and a Mackie 1202 I can honestly say the 107 leaves Mackie in the dust. I don't know what guys see in those pres. Very thin and brittle. 107 always gets used. But I also like the now-extinct Bellari 220 as well. You can pick up one of these for a song. They have so much gain you can get that old Bong Crosby tone. Way too cool. This is my favorite for rock n Roll

BONG Crosby??? Har Har Har!!!! Sheeeez, it's BING Crosby stupid. Now let's say that together..........

I've owned an Aphex 107 for years and I absolutely love it. I use it with an AKG C4000b with great results. My mixer is a Mackie 1642vlz, and to be perfectly honest the Aphex blows the hell out of the mic pres in the Mackie. In my not so humble opinion.

-Andrew

I use my Aphex 107 with an AKG 414, AT4033, NDYN757's, SM57's, SM58's, PZM's. I think it sounds at least prosumer and can add a touch of sheen to just about anything. I run my control room and headphone mixes in my instrument room through a Mackie 1604 but never use the Mackie pre's for recording...never had great success with them.
Have any of you tried different tube replacements in your 107???

Back