Apex 180 & 185

BroKenSticKs

I rented a bunch of mics and a BOSS BR-1600 because my band is doing some recording.

This is probably a really stupid question and i'm pretty sure i know the answer...

Do those Apex mics need phantom power? I assume they do...but what threw me off was that when i asked the guy that was renting me all the mics about phantom power he said all the mics shouldn't need it. :confused:

I just want to make sure i don't screw something up.

On my bands PA there is a switch for phantom power that turns it on for all the imputs....but if only one imput needs it it only sends it to that one imput. Does the BR-1600 have a safety feature where if you send it to the wrong imput....say to a 57 it won't actually send it?

I rented a matched pair of 185s and a pair of 180s. I'm using one of the pairs for drum overheads and another for stereo room mics to pick up the whole band. Which would be better for what purpose?

Another thing....

It says on the Apex website that both the 180's and pair of 185's come with both Cardioid and Omnidirectional heads. It seems when they rented me the 180's they only gave me the Cardioid heads....and i'm not sure about the pair of 185's because they are not with me right now....i think the pair of 185's came with the Omni heads aswell because they came in a case and i seem to remember there being another set of heads in there.

^^^because of that i'm really not sure what to use on the drum overheads and room mics.

I'm not micing the toms btw.

wow...long post...i appreciate any help. :)

Yes, they need phantom power, and no you won't hurt any dynamic mics if you have the phantom power on. Phantom power is ignored by dynamic mics. If the recording unit doesn't have it, you will need a supply for each mic unless you use a mixer that has it and has a line out for each channel (or sub groups).

PhilGood said:
Yes, they need phantom power, and no you won't hurt any dynamic mics if you have the phantom power on. Phantom power is ignored by dynamic mics. If the recording unit doesn't have it, you will need a supply for each mic unless you use a mixer that has it and has a line out for each channel (or sub groups).
I ended up figuring it out myself, but thank you.

Can somebody comment on the rest of my post?

Back