Anyway (work in progress)

Phrasemaker

Hi Folks,

Once again, another track which resulted from my experimenting with equipment set ups, one day I'll actually finish setting stuff up and not go off on a tangent. I suspect this one will require major surgery as I've simply presented it straight off the tracker + a light compression treatment of the whole thing. The ride on each track is pretty much how I have been working on it. I was going to stick this up in the composition part of the forum, but I think it'll get more ears here. Nothing is set in concrete, if it seems the track is worth pursuing to a finished item, I'll gladly accept advice/critique and badger away to get it as good as I can.
I am officially supposed to be doing acoustic only for a while, but after the intro it kind of begged to be less polite, and I've not polluted the local area with a 4x12 for a while so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Regards

Tim

Hi Phrasemaker, I like the direction of this tune ...The electric guitar spoils it though it is very thin and has no body at all. I like everything else especially the piano.

Thanks alkie, having rested from having the track pumped into my head for a good few hours I am warming to it again after almost deleting the entire project. I will ponder the electric guitar and maybe swap it out for another sound or instrument, I was after a brashness to contrast the intro in a big way, and a kind of grunge feel to the choruses but I may re think that. I initially doubted the piano parts, now they've grown on me too, so much to think about. I already had the intention to re do the verse vocals as they are a bit weak and slightly pitchy here and there. Like yourself, I have an idea how I want to hear my vocal and tailor the sound to suit the material I'm working with. The vocal in each chorus is the sound I want for those parts and that's going to limit what it has accompanying it, as it's quite full on.

I'll think on, play on, and get another version tracked.

regards

Tim

Like Alkie said, the distorted guitar is pretty thin. I would cut some highs around 6-8 khz, cut a bit from 400 hz, boost 500 hz a bit, and boost around 65 hz. Bring the guitars down a bit, too. They're a bit out there. A good, rich reverb on the vox wouldn't hurt either. But I like the nice, dark melody. Especially the opening guitar and the piano riff.

Def. worth pursuing.
The quick little harmonic in the intro should expanded upon.
Electric is a bit thin. I've you've still an acoustic under it I'd bring it back in and fill the sound with it.
From electric guitar to piano could use some sustain & fade from the guitar or a more sudden change with some long delay to emphasis the stop.
Good start - keep going!

Thanks STATISTICK, I'll have a look at EQ on that fist guitar take, I have to replay it to do so as the transitions need work. I've replayed it with a different cab/mic set up and different gains ect on the valve head. It's a thicker sound with less of a wild after tone to control.
I still have other bits to polish, but wanted to see how the thicker guitar sounds. Many thanks.

Ray, I did another guitar take and instead of cutting the notes as the vocal comes in, I slid the root note up into the next chord and let it decay naturally, it seems to improve the transition. I Have re done some of the verse vocals to get rid of the flat notes and pulled the early harmonic up so it can be clearly heard. Most of the other bits will probably need some tuning/work to get the overall sound right, but i'm up for polishing this to the best I can get it.

I have a very busy week so limited to what I can achieve, and it might be best sitting for a day or two now so I don't loose the will to work hard on it.

Many thanks

Tim.

New version here

Growing well Tim.
There's def. more meat on the axe (sorry bad pun: meat axe).
The piano certainly gives it gravitas.
I look forward to the new developments.

Thanks Ray, I'm in a bit of rut aside from EQing individual tracks to make it a little more ear friendly, I have a few days off of work this week so will get fresh ears wrapped around it and hopefully come up with something else I can improve upon or add. I am a fan of the piano and have slipped it into a number of my tracks, it takes a little thought in respect of what will butt up against guitar or work in conjunction, but it does have a sound contribution which suits my musical style. As always, much appreciated.

Tim

Nice job. My only nit is the intro: from the get-go, the listener knows that it's only a matter of time before the power chord comes in.:D To hold the listener's attention for 1 minute requires a lot more tension than you currently have. This is done through creative dynamics/production/arranging. Your intent is clear and I think it's a good idea, it's just not working as well as it should. A minute is an eternity= the Beatles song "Yesterday" is only 2 minutes for the entire song. Therefore, you somehow have to build the tension until it's unbearable or else it's just monotony. You'll get it.

The rest of the song is very good, well done.:thumbs up:

DavidK, that's a right useful observation in respect of the intro, I'll ponder what I might employ to create additional interest and tension.
It's what I love about this place, other people can see the wood for the trees...........

regards

Tim

Back