Anyway to make a series of overlapped waves into one single wave?

dialtone

I find all my files in the wave table to the left of Cool Edits layout tend to add up fast. Many files that were just retakes or were files are underneath new files hiding and not being used. I would like to keep only the files I am using in there, what is the most efficient way to clean these up so I don't have to save an insane amount of files on Session Save.

thanks

Last edited:
Well, your question doesn't match your thread title, but I'll try to answer it anyway.

On most versions of CE and AA you can click "File", (I think) and then select "Remove Unused Media." This removes any audio clips that are not currently "in use" in the multitrack window anywhere. It removes them from your session but not from your hard drive. (You could still find and re-open the files again and insert them into your multitrack.)

As an alternative, you can highlight any single file and choose "close" from the file menu to remove it from your file window/session.

Last edited:
How do i remove them from my hard drive?Anyway to remove the unused media and not have to sift through all my files to ee what is in use?

I don’t think Cool Edit saves automatically those files for good.
Adobe Audition 2,0 does that.
So don’t make it difficult for yourself. Save only good ones and name them properly.
I used to create a new folder for each new project so I did not need to have the song name in the file name.
(Still, I understand people who have this part as well)
Once you know where your files are saved, everything is much easier.
Let’s say you have many tracks in your session, (guitar1, guitar2, guitar3, piano1,etc …..) and you’ve got a twice so many in your folder.
You can open file folder while your session is loaded and start deleting.
You are going to get warning message if you are about to delete file which is currently in use.
So don’t delete those.
I don’t remember about Cool Edit but AA 2,0 is able to name your files automatically.
Only thing you need to do is rename your track which you are using for recording.
Those tracks are named track01, track02, … etc by default but if you rename them before recording you’ll get this advantage.

Be consequent when you name your files.
It is always nice to have them sorted alphabetically.

RawDepth:

I do not have a "Remove unused media" under file in my version of CE. I do have "Close non session waveforms".

It is hard to tell what I am usinig, there are so many waves in that table on teh left. I end up writing what is being used down and comparing them to teh table in the left and deleting what is not on the list. It is long and tedious and cannot be the prper way of doing this. And when I save my session. I literally am promped to save at least 35 different files. Is this normal?

Also what I meant about combing 2 overlapping waveforms into 1, is I have punched in alot, and instead of those all being seperate waves that lay on top of eachother. I would like to recreate them into 1 single wave. I would like to do this for all the waves that overlap eachother instead of having a bunch of smaller single waves overlapping. My VS1680 had an optimize which did this.

"Close non session waveforms" means the same thing. It should dump any files that are not in the multitrack.

Sikter is right. Just don't save the files you don't want to use in your session. (I am getting too used to AA version 2.0 and my memory is a little blurry on how the older versions work.)

Why do you end up with so many files? Are you looping samples? ...Or do you record a lot of short pieces?

Most of us record a track in one take (one wave file) for the full length of the song, then go back and punch-in short spots over top of mistakes. If there are too many mistakes, it is best to just re-record the entire (vocal or instrument) track. Unless we are dropping samples all over the track, we rarely end up with more than 3 or 4 punch-in files. If the artist is making far too many mistakes then they should not be in the studio yet. Go practice some more. :D

That "merge" command may work even if you highlight more than two files at once. I am not sure. Give it a try and see.

When I record I do alot of punch-ins. But it is because I
am recording alot of little parts. My tracks are usually 10 mins long or so.
And they consist of many small parts with different things going on. I like CE for this reason. In fact I really like recording to computers vs stand alone recorders, plus it is very exciting jumping into a new medium of gear.

Back