Anything i can do?

gibsonguy09

My gibson hollowbody is making a rattleing noise. It is coming from some where aroudn the volume/tone knobs. Can i get in their somehow adn do anything. The local guitar shops said it is my hardware, pick-guard/bridge loose (it isn't i checked) so any help is apprecieted. Thank you

never thought of that? lol thts wat i said "The local guitar shops said it is my hardware, pick-guard/bridge loose (it isn't i checked)" lol but thnkx newatyz.. its comign from the inside

It really does sound like one of your tone/volume knowbs came loose. Try taking the plastic knob off and seeing if that's the case. Other than that, is there any cracking or anything or is it just a rattle?

cheers,
scott

Are there any likely suspects in the household?

Just off the top of my head...any kids around that might have dropped something through the f hole...or pets for that matter? :confused:
Wait a minute...I wonder if the back of a volume or tone pot came loose in there, it is a 39 year old guitar you know?

I was thinking maybe some of the wires came unsecured inside there, if there was some leftover slack that was fastened down or something. I have an electric acoustic whose wiring likes to slap against the inside of the body, or lay against the inside of the body and rattle.

Anfontan said:
Just off the top of my head...any kids around that might have dropped something through the f hole...or pets for that matter? :confused:
Wait a minute...I wonder if the back of a volume or tone pot came loose in there, it is a 39 year old guitar you know?

no its always in a case or in my hands.. woudl i have to take off the pickup to get to the tone knob .. i have WIDE nuckles and can't fit my hand in the F hole I cant' take off the plastic cover.. its weird either tht or its 39 years off sticking..lol

Get a flexible inspection mirror and a flash light. I'm not familiar with that guitar but I've had acoustics with built in EQs and PUps that had loose wiring. The wires are usually secured with double sided tape or similar but after a good warming up or a humid spell, it all comes loose and voila...rattle trap.

An inspection mirror could be had here;
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/uk/...Hand+Tools/name/inspection+mirror/135901.html

or

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=580&subgroupId=83

Best luck!

Do you have a little inspection mirror? If so, you can get in there and look around. That's a thin body right? Does it have a block like a 335 or braces? If it has braces they can get loose and rattle over time.

Back