Anyone using the UAD-1 card yet?

Aloha

If so, how do you like it. How does it sound and how does it perform? Oh ya, what do you run it with? Thanks

I've been using one for about 5 months now. The best sounding plug-ins I have. The compressors are just phenomenal.

I also recommend getting the Fairchild and the Cambridge EQ add-ons, closest thing to outboard gear you’re going to find in a plug in.

The Verbs are just OK but not a real standout in my mind. I think you can do better by picking up a low end Lex or TC unit and going external. As an alternative, if you have the cash, the Powercore has just been shipped in an affordable, $500, package and if it’s like the original does a better job on reverb and delay.

Getting back to the UAD, it’s a no brainer. It gives you some excellent tools to improve the sound of your tracks, probably one of the best values in recording out there.

I would happily pay three times what I paid for my UAD card.

Please don't tell UAD that I said that - I don't want to give them any ideas...

IMHO, they are one of the few absolute "must have's" in the industry. They are quickly creeping into even my most critical mastering projects.

The Cambridge EQ is amazing.

The Pultec sounds wonderful - My favorite setting, just like the hardware, is "ON" and nothing else.

The LA2A and the 1176LN are amazingly realistic. Again, sometimes "ON" is just what you need.

The Fairchild... Well, it sounds kinda like a Fairchild. I don't really care for it too much, as it certainly imposes the "classic characteristics" of the original. Wonderful if it's exactly what you're looking for, but mostly it just sites there. However, you can never have too many compressors (hardware OR software), so you should at least try the demo. I bought it for no other reason than to support Universal Audio. Sometimes you have to "cast your consumer vote" just to keep those R&D guys in the office, you know?

I actually can't get enough of the DreamVerb - It takes a LOT of tweaking, but it's pretty much taken over for all of my hardware. I'm convinced that if you can "imagine" a verb sound, you can construct that sound with the DreamVerb...

Anyway, drop whatever you're doing and go grab one or two right now.

Stop reading.

Go to the store.

YOU'RE STILL READING!!! STOP!!!

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back