Anyone Using The Beyer M99?

Vikki

I was thinking of buying a Beyer M88 but notice they have a M99 out now, aimed more for recording? Anyone using this mic how does it compare to the M88.
Regards
Vikki(uk)

I looked at buying one a couple years ago (got an M160 instead). It looked like it would be more comparable to an RE-20 or an SM7 than the M88 (all of which I already had). I'd certainly pick one up at the right price. Looks to be a real usable mic for lots of applications

Just been having a ponder at the Beyer products, the Beyer M160 may do me better for recording vocal and acoustic guitar tracks, i know its a Ribbon mic but does it work well on some vocals?
Vikki(uk)

Vikki said:
Just been having a ponder at the Beyer products, the Beyer M160 may do me better for recording vocal and acoustic guitar tracks, i know its a Ribbon mic but does it work well on some vocals?
Vikki(uk)
Ribbons are favored by many for vocals for more of an "old-school" sound as opposed to the hyped high-end sound that comes from most cheaper condensers. They are often stated to be good for female vocals as have a more "rounded" high end (which often quantitatively/empirically is demonstrated by some high frequency drop off).

Vikki said:
Vikki(uk)

I would think about getting the M130 first, a figure 8 pattern is a useful thing to have :)

The M130 and M160 are popular together for M/S recording.

I've got all the Beyer ribbons. The M160 or M130 wouldn't be my first choice for vocals. Great instrument mics and certainly great in combo for M/S recording. I'd look for something else for vocals. If you do want a Beyer ribbon for vocals, I'd consider a used M500. What kind of voice are we talking here? A more typical treatment for acoustic and vocals would be a couple SD condensers for guitar and either a LD condenser for vocals or a suitable dynamic. I also like the GT-44 (or its prior incarnation, the AM-40) on guitar.

Back