Anyone Using Any Aural Exciters?

MERC

I have a project recording studio that's maily for vocal recordings. Mostly Hip Hop and R&B stuff so I'm always trying to upgrade anything in my mic chain, either hardware or software. Right now I have a GT 67 microphone, going into my Eureka with the compressor and eq bypassed and I do my compression afterwards with the waves R1 comp. Someone told me that they could get a good deal on a Aural Exciter and until the moment that this person told me this, I never though about it or even hear any engineers saying that they use one. If you have one, what model is it and is it worth getting? THANKS!

I would not recommend an aural exciter, especially if it will be primarily used on vocals. Your money would be better spent on acoustic treatment, monitoring chain, and mics/preamps/converters.

Ok

scrubs said:
I would not recommend an aural exciter, especially if it will be primarily used on vocals. Your money would be better spent on acoustic treatment, monitoring chain, and mics/preamps/converters.

Thanks for the reply scrubs. Here's my myspace with pics of my current setup. Besides the chain i'm using already, anything in particular you might suggest. I'm itching to buy some new gear. Would prefer to buy a new mic but can't afford a U87...hell, can't even afford a TLM103. So any suggestions? Thanks!

You have some foam up and thin acoustic panels, but I didn't see any significant bass trapping in those pictures, nor panels at the first reflection points on the side walls. Having bass traps in as many corners as possible will aid in mixing, imo.

As for other things, I think it is always to your advantage to have multiple microphones, as even a "great" mic might not always be the right choice for a particular voice. Look into getting a great dynamic mic to add to the collection (Shure SM7B, Electrovoice RE20/RE27, Heil PR30/PR40). Sometimes that can be just the ticket for a difficult voice. Also check out the mic clips at JamRoom, as they have a male hip-hop vocal clip for many of their mics. The Listening Sessions have a lot of microphone and preamp comparisons, as well.

You don't mention what soundcard/converters you're using too. While I would upgrade the mics/preamps first and deal with acoustics, eventually converters may become the weakest link in your chain.

Bass traps

The sono columns act as bass traps. They're on all four corners of the room. The panels are 2 inchs. As for a soundcard, I have the FW-1884 with the two extra 8 out expanders. To be honest with you, I was getting a much better sound from my mic before I added the eureka to my chain. Before I went strait to the comp and just added compression. I was hoping the eureka would make them sound better but funny thing is that on the R&B stuff i've done it sounds wonderful but when I get a rapper in there, it's hit or miss depending on the rapper.

Back