Anyone used a V69 w/ a Sytek?

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
I'm picking up an MPX 4 as my main mic preamp. I was wondering if anyone had used either a V69 or an AT4040 with the Sytek and what their opinions were...

Thanks.

yes i have a sytek and have borrowed maNY microphones to use.i find the low freaquency sound needing some improvement because the AT series does not like those low freaquency well .some eq may be needed. :D

Just checking in

I'm contemplating a Sytek MPX 4A with the BB option. I'm just wondering how you guys are liking this pre. Is there anything you would compare it to?
I've been using the pres in an old Carvin MX1222 console as well as the low end focusrite trackmaster and penta along with Art DSPII and a VTB1 and think the Carvin is about the best I have.

I've noticed the v69 sounds good with just about every mic pre ... except for the Sytek.

For some reason, when I plug it in to the Sytek, everything just goes all to bloody hell in a handbasket. You'd think it was going through an mxr pedal or something ... it just sounds so offensive.

On the other hand, the AT4040 just sounds pretty average through most mic pres ... but you plug it in to a Sytek, and it's like the heavens open up, and suddenly you're using the most beautiful mic ever crafted.

It's pretty astounding how that all works.

I'm only kidding. It's just a freakin' mic pre. You plug a mic in to it ... it's not going to dramatically alter the sound. It's just going to sound like that mic. It has phantom power and gain. I wouldn't over-analyze this too much.

to me the 4040's kinda vanilla no matter what you plug it into, IMHO and all that crap.
never used a v69

(my sytek has the bb on all 4 chan)
as for the sytek, i can actually tell the difference form my mixes before and after i got it.
before my best pre being an rnp and using it on as many tracks as possible
and now sytek being the best one i own and useing it on as many tracks as i can (think buildup)
my stuff actually sounds a little better then before.
go figure.

still occasionally choose the rnp over the sytek, and the di on the rnp is the shiznit. and the sytek has no di anywho.

IMHO and all that.

I'm contemplating a Sytek MPX 4A with the BB option. I'm just wondering how you guys are liking this pre. Is there anything you would compare it to?
I've been using the pres in an old Carvin MX1222 console as well as the low end focusrite trackmaster and penta along with Art DSPII and a VTB1 and think the Carvin is about the best I have.

I've had one now for a couple of months and had a chance to use it on a few things.

Can't really compare it to other high-end pres - it is my high end pre. I can tell you that I'm preferring the stock channels to the BB's.

Edit - to add to the thought of BB's. I primarily do live jazz recording. The BB's sound fine except when driven hard; I know that's when some people like them but I find the distortion to not be subtle enough, at least for what I do. Probably would not matter on distorted guitar or screaming vocal. I especially did not like the overheads in the BB's. The snare crack would get too crunchy. I was using a pair of Beyer MC930's, which have high output, and may contribute to the BB's distorting easier. Other mics probably do better with the BB's. I've also used them for a vocalist using a Beta 58 (again, a live recording) and it sounds fine. Not much of a difference between the clean and BB in that case. I think that's why I like the clean channels. The BB sound like the clean channels until they hit a certain point, then they distort in a way I don't care for, but that's just me. I still love the Sytek.

Last edited:
Back