anyone use these mics?

Ion White

These mics?AKG C1000S and Cascade Fathead 2....does anyone have any experience with these mics? Looking for good warmth and a darker heavier tone..

Darker and heavier ?
Of those two the fathead of course; rolled off top vs a rise, more proximity effect (is that your 'heavier?).. pretty much opposites.
Is that what you have or are you looking?

I want the low end of the vocal to be picked up and all the small vocal articulations..not going for a bright sound at all.

These mics?AKG C1000S and Cascade Fathead 2....does anyone have any experience with these mics? Looking for good warmth and a darker heavier tone..

no sorry i don't ever used taht mics....
can you please tell m you want mics for what?

Don't know about the second mic but the C1000S is almost exactly the opposite of what you say you're looking for. It has a thin sound with a harsh, almost screachy top end. It's pretty much the worst mic AKG ever made and more suitable for use as a studio doorstop than for recording anything.

Oh, the C-1000 isn't that bad but you're right about it's sound. I actually really like them as tom mics but that's about it.

Hmmm...that's a good idea. As a tom mic it has a good chance of being battered to a pulp with drumsticks and put out of its misery!

As you might gather, I'm not a fan of the C1000S....

I just traded my C1000s. I don't hate them nearly as much as a lot of people do, but it's definitely not what I would consider a vocal mic. I mostly used it on percussive stuff like glockenspiel, tambourine, etc. It won't like be great for what you want to do with it, but you could always try it out?

As far as warmth goes? I would say, go for the best, cleanest mic you can get, and if you want to color that sound? You can do so w/pre-amps and or SW plugs after the fact. The MIC is layer 1... They have specs? You can study scientifically based on the numbers, what the mic can do. And the good ones? Aren't necessarily cheap... Nothing is free, we all want it to be? But it just isn't.

And I sing through a Neumann U87AI so yes, but I understand everone can't drop that kind of coin on a mic? But Again, I say, get the best vocal mic you can afford, and in terms of coloring the sound? Do that with the amps, and the saturation plugs.. The mic though? IMO should not "color" the sound. In terms of warmth, darkness, etc... The mic "picks up the sound." What you do with it after that is up to you.

I was in the studio tonight w/my young son. And I was explaining things to him. And I was telling him, "you have to be really really quiet when we record, because this mic is sensitive." And I took a drink of water out of a bottle, and he had the phones on? And he said, "wow! I could hear the water going glug gulg gulg as you were drinking it!" Yes... You want a mic that does not color, and that has a wide range, and is clean, clear, and loud...

Everything else comes "after the mic." Again, IMO. I could be wrong, and others who have different opinions may be right.

I'm only in partial agreement with this, RockinRobby. Yes, a clean and accurate mic is generally the bet starting point but, within "clean and accurate" there can be variations in sound. Since transducers have the biggest effect on how things sound, it's always good to start off in the direction you want to go rather than rely on EQ or mic modelers (which I've never been very impressed with).

Looking for good warmth and a darker heavier tone..

Then you just may need a good dynamic microphone and utilize the proximity effect by being right up on the microphone - lips right on the grill.

Start with looking at a Shure SM7b or an EV Re20. If those are to expensive try Used or go for a Shure SM58 new or used.

Back