Anyone use a power transformer to...

Yes, twice.

Once: BOSS-DS330 synth module, bought 2nd Hand, from America -- came with US issue wallwart. Didn't want to cough up 30 or 40 quid for an "approved" Roland UK adapter, and as it's an AC feed in (not DC), couldn't lay my hands on a cheap replacement. Ran it on a 240-110v autotransformer for a while.

Twice: Computer monitor -- 110v only. Ran that for 3 years through the same autotransformer (by now the BOSS had a proper, though still not approved, PSU).

There's 2 kinds of transformer.

Your regular "transformer" as found in most equipment has 2 or more windings. One faces the mains supply, wound to 240v, one faces the equipment, and can be anything from 1-50v. These are usually totally isolated from each other.

The other is an autotransformer. This is wound as a tapped winding. For 240v->110v, you apply mains across the whole thing, and put the load across the centre tap and one end.

For 110v->240v, you apply the mains across the centre and one end, and the load across the whole thing.

Think like a big resistor divider, but with no appreciable heat dissipation. The load is not isolated from the mains.

Side effects?

Don't overload it -- the voltage will drop, the thing will heat up, and may well just conk out. Note that a failed autotransformer may leave your equipment connected to nearer to 240v, if the "wrong" half of it fails. A transformer (isolating) won't do that.

Hum? Pay attention to earthing arrangements and you shouldn't have a problem. On mine, the earth goes to the metal body of the transformer, for safety earthing. Other than that, I had no problems, the earth just connects through as normal.

Don't use little noddy shaver adapter things. Get something meatier.

Your link didn't lead to a specific product, so I can't say about that.

the link did for me??

anyway here the info

This transformer allows many smaller overseas appliances that operate on 110V AC - 120V AC 50Hz power to work in Australia.
Description: 240V-115V (250VA)

Features: Converts 230-240 Volt Mains power to 115V to suit smaller US/Japanese equipment that can operate from a 50Hz mains supply.
Suitable for audio, computer or other equipment that draws up to 250 Watts.
2.5A user replaceable fuse to protect against short circuits or overload.
Solid metal casing and convenient carry handle.
Non slip rubber feet.
NB. Does not convert the Mains frequency

does frequency conversion matter? its only 10hz isnt it?

ZiggY! said:

Description: 240V-115V (250VA)

Yeah, don't go sticking a whole PC and monitor through it, or a fan heater, and you should be OK :)

NB. Does not convert the Mains frequency

Not a problem usually. 50Hz through a 60Hz transformer (in your equipment) will make it dissipate a little more heat. Anything using mains-synchronous motors will be running off speed though! So reel-reel recorders with mains motors would suffer unless modded.

Most PSUs now that are switch-mode types won't care -- they turn the mains to DC almost straight away, before doing their own thing with it.

Linear PSUs will get a little warmer. It might not even be noticeable.

Thanks...

so i should be fine running at the most 2 Motu interfaces and maybe an 8 channel preamp with converters to lightpipe??

sorry for all the question... i just dont want to fry my gear yet :D

i'll save that for when the motu units randomly stop working :)

ZiggY! said:
so i should be fine running at the most 2 Motu interfaces and maybe an 8 channel preamp with converters to lightpipe??

This doesn't sound heavy duty stuff, so it should be OK. If you've got the manuals for these things, satisfy any doubts by looking at the power consumption for the mains input (either on the wallwart, or for the device if mains powered) and add it up.

Mike.

Back