Anyone understand how to figure this song out?

SilverSurfer

Flood - Jars of Clay

The D and G strings are tuned to B and E respectively. I was told there was a CAPO on the third fret, but then that doesn't explain this stupid tab. This has to be wrong:

Ok… this song uses an alternate tuning where you drop the two middle
strings to a “B” and an “E”, instead of “D” and “G”, making it EABEBe.
In addition to that, it also has a capo on the third fret. Sorry I
couldn't put in the lyrics. :/

Chords:

e--0------0---0---0-------x-----x----0-----------------+
B--1------3---5---0-------x-----x----0-----------------|
E--0------0---0---0-------x-----x----0-----------------|
B--1------3---5---0-------5-----3----0-----------------|
A--0------0---0---2-------0-----0----2-----------------|
E--1------3---5---0-------5-----3----0-----------------+
Abmaj7 Bb C5 G5 C* Bb* G*

Intro: C5 Bb Abmaj7 G5 (x2)

Verse 1:
C* Bb* G*
C* Bb* G*
C* Bb* G*
C* Bb* G*

Chorus:
C5 Bb G5
C5 Bb G5
C5 Bb G5
C5 Bb G5

C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5
C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5
C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5
C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5 (C5)

Verse 2: (Same as Verse 1)

[Chorus]

Bridge: (No chords)

[Chorus]

C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5
C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5
C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5
C5 Abmaj7 Bb G5

Outtro: C5

Tab is frequently written as "relative to capo." Thus, the fingerings and chord names are probably written as if the guitar did not have a capo. Thus a '0' on the tab implies that the note is at the 3rd fret (where the capo is) and a '1' would be fingering the 4th fret (or the first fret, relative to the capo). Make sense? Just try it with the capo at 3 and see if it works.

scrubs said:
Tab is frequently written as "relative to capo." Thus, the fingerings and chord names are probably written as if the guitar did not have a capo. Thus a '0' on the tab implies that the note is at the 3rd fret (where the capo is) and a '1' would be fingering the 4th fret (or the first fret, relative to the capo). Make sense? Just try it with the capo at 3 and see if it works.

hehe. A little. Can you explain a little more?!

Saweeeeeeeet! Thanks. I am going to add this cover to our EP when it comes out in a few months.

I've never played with a CAPO though so can you explain how it's used and how it's interpreted with the tablature?!

Hey what did you do for the string instrument part? I want to copy it pretty close to the original and don't know anyone who can do it.

My new band is a Christian based Rock project.

SilverSurfer said:
I've never played with a CAPO though so can you explain how it's used and how it's interpreted with the tablature?!

Here are a couple of brief tutorials:

http://www.jaybuckey.com/capos.htm
http://www.jaybuckey.com/tablature.htm

As I said above, most tablature where a capo is used is written relative to the capo. That is, if the capo is at the third fret, the tab just assumes that the 3rd fret is now the nut. So, an open G chord shape (in standard tuning) is written 320003 in tab, capo or not. The 0 just means you let the string ring open (which will actually play the note at the third fret, because that's where the capo is located). The other strings are fretted relative to the capo (3rd fret up from the capo, etc.). Of course, the actual chord you are playing with 320003, with a capo at the 3rd fret, is a Bflat. However, the tab will usually just tell you to play a G with the capo at 3.

scrubs said:
Here are a couple of brief tutorials:

http://www.jaybuckey.com/capos.htm
http://www.jaybuckey.com/tablature.htm

As I said above, most tablature where a capo is used is written relative to the capo. That is, if the capo is at the third fret, the tab just assumes that the 3rd fret is now the nut. So, an open G chord shape (in standard tuning) is written 320003 in tab, capo or not. The 0 just means you let the string ring open (which will actually play the note at the third fret, because that's where the capo is located). The other strings are fretted relative to the capo (3rd fret up from the capo, etc.). Of course, the actual chord you are playing with 320003, with a capo at the 3rd fret, is a Bflat. However, the tab will usually just tell you to play a G with the capo at 3.

Ahhhh, ok. I get it. It's easier for me to remember if it was numbered at the nut but now I know how to figure it out. Sweet, thanks!

SilverSurfer said:
Hey what did you do for the string instrument part? I want to copy it pretty close to the original and don't know anyone who can do it.

My new band is a Christian based Rock project.
Well.....actually........we just pretty much skipped that part! We ended the 2nd chorus just like we ended the first (just driving that E-chord), and then pulled way back and dropped straight into the "Calm the storms that drench my eyes" part with much simpler instrument parts and with the drums at a half-speed beat, and then finished it out like Jars does.

Back