Anyone tried Tascam M-164UF ?

Funny you should mention that as, in my current setup ( no mixer but a bunch of switches) I noticed the headphones are a bit distorted ( vs a direct connection to the amp)... and was looking forward to a nomral arrangement where I could monitor via the mixer.

Have you narrowed down the issue wrt it sounding thin???
No.
I have the Stereo Out go to my Sansui receiver, and I use the headphone jack there or Pioneer Towers. Phones Works fine. Also, it could have been the 10ft extension acting up. I should re-try

What happens when you simply plug your headphones directly into the mixer (ie not into receiver and not into any extension) Is the sound still "thin" or is it normal?

MediaMan09,I just saw your list, I'm very new to this and bought the Behringer 1222FX thinking I'd be able to record 8 different tracks at the same time but it comes with a 2 input interface only so I think you'd still need to buy a seperate interface if you went with the 1622....

I have not bought the TASCAM yet but I am real close (just need to pay off some boxing day bills!!).

As to the Behringer, I run hot and cold on these. Very easy to be impressed with the price point, but I remain concerned about the quality, noise etc. As per one of thse posts here, am I buying a gem or buying junk? I know there two divided amps on either side of the debate and there is no real answer Its a choice. For me, I note both the TASCAM and Behringer and now both made in China, but TASCAM's attempt at quality assurance, I believe, is far different than Behrigners. TASCAMs reptutation, history and methodology are BASED on building quality - Behrigners is the exact opposite (clone, sell, pay fines). The volume of returns on Bergingers is troubling.

Notwithstanding that, I did take another look and I see they have a new line, and the X2442USB is indeed quite interesting, and about $125 less than the TASCAM ( at LM). It has more sub groups, aux outputs etc but even with the 'built-in' USB, is still like the old units with simply a 2 track stereo USB output , as compared to the 16 track output of the TASCAM. Ironically, I dont think I intend to edit/mix much on the computer so 2 track is likely ok for me, but still I worry about the quality of the unit.

personally, 2 input USB is too basic for me. Been living with Stereo soundcards for years, and cassettes back in the day.
The TASCAM M164UF allows for simultaneous recording. What about recording lots of mics off same guitar amp, or I still use my Pentium 4 (other PC) as a Synth setup, and my Roland D-70, both in stereo, at the same time. What if I wanted to sings, too ? I have jumped into another realm beyond 2 inputs / stereo

...The TASCAM M164UF allows for simultaneous recording....

Agree.

From what I have read, there seems to be a least three ways to use a mixer:

1) One is for live/on-the-fly performances, where , as per your example, one could have multiple sources to mix/experment with, and then later back to the DAW to record into a final product as a stereo mix. I think for this mode, the 2 channel USB is fine.
ie SOURCES -> MIXER (two tracks) -> DAW -> FINAL ( eg mp3)

2)
Another is as per (1) but to record the inputs as individiaul multiple tracks, for the purpose of mixing or removing some tracks in the DAW, before makiing a final product as a stereo mix. For this mode, one would need the multiple tracks USB outputs (or something like a basic mixer + a TASCAM US-1641).
ie SOURCES -> MIXER (many tracks) -> DAW -> FINAL ( eg mp3)

3) Another is as per (2), but to feed back some of those tracks into the mixer, for a final mix using the mixer, and then back to the DAW to record the final product as a stereo mix.
ie SOURCES- > MIXER (many tracks) ->DAW -> MIXER -> FINAL ( eg mp3)

For me. I would likely start with (1), and later experiment with the others....which still leads me back to the TASCAM M164UF as the better choice.

As for Behringer, almost every google search points to a red flag caution. Good assessment here. Even on this forum (which I value for advice and guiidance) seems aligned with what I read elsewhere, The informal Behringer poll results gives me great cause for concern. Excluding those who vote dont-own or dont-care, of 368 remaining votes (a pretty good sample size), 35% love the Behringer product line, but a full 65% thought is was so-so, sucked, or would never buy again. I would take chances on a $30 accessory, but not on something I am putting $500 down on.

Last edited:
Mediaman09
Just a bit more info on the Behringer, as a mixing desk for playing live or as a sub mix I think it's brilliant, superb quality and incedible value for money but as an Audio Interface it's really not great.
The USB interface that came with it I could never get rid of a noise it created and was too much to record with so it wouldn't even be suitable for your option 1/. as you listed.
I bought a Focusrite Sapphire 40 in the end which I'm incredibly pleased with and I immediately noticed the difference and the high pitched whine immediately dissapeared.
We'll still use the Behringer now but for other things so it's not wasted money but just wasn't capable of what I wanted it for and unless you then have another interface / drivers I don't think it's going to be suitabel for what you want to use it for either.
Hope that's of some help.

The Focusrite Sapphire 40 looks amazing... and appears very similar to theTASCAM US-1641.....so yes, the combination of a working Behringer mixer plus a suitable multitrack interface would indeed work well, and would work well for all three options above.

The route of the TASCAM m-164UF for me, appears to be a more cost-effective solution as it has a suitable built-in multitrack interface, would cost less than Behringer mixer+external audio interface, includes a version of Cubase, and offers me less worry (warranted or not) on the quality issue.

Getting the M-164UF up and running in Vista Home Premium was too easy. No issues, Reaper sees all 16 channels, once you specify the Tascam driver. I used the latest driver from the their site, and never used the install CD, nor Cubase LE 4 disk, and BTW working with 24 bit audio and only 3.6ms latency

One cool thing I noticed, and don't know if others do this, is that I can pair the Mono input 1 to 6, or even the Stereo ones, something like this 1,2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, etc up to 9/10 ... and I can un-pair stereo Inputs

Agree.

From what I have read, there seems to be a least three ways to use a mixer:

1) One is for live/on-the-fly performances, where , as per your example, one could have multiple sources to mix/experment with, and then later back to the DAW to record into a final product as a stereo mix. I think for this mode, the 2 channel USB is fine.
ie SOURCES -> MIXER (two tracks) -> DAW -> FINAL ( eg mp3)

2)
Another is as per (1) but to record the inputs as individiaul multiple tracks, for the purpose of mixing or removing some tracks in the DAW, before makiing a final product as a stereo mix. For this mode, one would need the multiple tracks USB outputs (or something like a basic mixer + a TASCAM US-1641).
ie SOURCES -> MIXER (many tracks) -> DAW -> FINAL ( eg mp3)

3) Another is as per (2), but to feed back some of those tracks into the mixer, for a final mix using the mixer, and then back to the DAW to record the final product as a stereo mix.
ie SOURCES- > MIXER (many tracks) ->DAW -> MIXER -> FINAL ( eg mp3)

For me. I would likely start with (1), and later experiment with the others....which still leads me back to the TASCAM M164UF as the better choice.

As for Behringer, almost every google search points to a red flag caution. Good assessment here. Even on this forum (which I value for advice and guiidance) seems aligned with what I read elsewhere, The informal Behringer poll results gives me great cause for concern. Excluding those who vote dont-own or dont-care, of 368 remaining votes (a pretty good sample size), 35% love the Behringer product line, but a full 65% thought is was so-so, sucked, or would never buy again. I would take chances on a $30 accessory, but not on something I am putting $500 down on.

I just read back through this and wonder if you're getting slightly confused ????? With point 2 as an example you say you'd need a basic mixer to go with the Tascam US 1641. Depending what you want to do the mixer isn't neccassary as the levels can be adjusted for each individual input on the US 1641 and each input recorded onto it's own seperate track either one by one or several at the same time and then ones you don't like edited / removed.
If you only want to record 2 channels, each to their own individual tracks at the same time the Behringer mixers will do that and you just pan one of the inputs full left and the other full right to seperate them, alterntively if you wanted better quality how about The Peavey PV10 or the PV14 which will do the same but again I think you're restricted to the 2 channel but worth posting a thread somewhere to ask. If however you're looking to record more than 2 tracks at the same time in the future you're probably better off getting equipment now that can do it rather than buying again in the not too distant future.

Re a M164-UF purchase, other than LM, does anyone know who are the authorized TASCAM dealers are in Ontario??

I checked the web site at http://www.teac-ca.com/ but all they list there are :

-AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTRES
-FACTORY SERVICE STATIONS
-TEAC / TASCAM PARTS & SERVICES

but no dealers listed. I tried writing them, but no reply.

I assume LM, Cosmo Music, Steve's Music are all authorized dealers, but stock is scarce. Was going to try others, but dont have the list!

LM will order one for me, so will likely go that route, but its odd that no list of authroized dealers is published....unless I am looking in the wrong place.

I paid $525 @ L&M when I ordered just before xmas, it was there in 2 days via Canada Post/ before xmas.... but no one at L&M contacted me, I just went in on 26th for another reason, and someone said it was there

I placed my order on Sunday nIght on line - hope to see it next week.

I have a question related to audio output and speakers...specfically wondering if I should get a set of powered speakers to connect to the TASCAM outputs.

My intended configuration is as per attached, TASCAM SETUP, where;

1) I would be listening via the amp while practicing live (ie nothing plugged into REC OUT of the amp)

2) I would be listening via the amp while recording ( if I were micing the amp), again , nothing plugged into REC OUT of the amp.

3) I would be listening to conventional stereo speakers/AVR , I assume, while recording WITH into REC OUT of the amp plugged in)

4) I would be listening to conventional stereo speakers/AVR , while preparing and listening to a final MP3 product.

But should I also be investing in a set of powered speakers? , either in addtion to or in place of the AVR/speakers ???

almost my setup. Incl, a Roland D-70 synth and using another PC (Dell Pentium 4) for playback into Tascam connected to my Sony Vaio duo core running Vista Home Premium. Surprisingly, no Vista issues except inital 1G RAM, which I took out 512 and added 2G for 2.5G total

1) i use an ART Tube MP on Channel 1, and I use that channel for either vocals or guitar direct In into a VST amp sim suite, and a tad more flexibility with ext. pre-amp
2) On the SUB Out, I have a pair of active KRK Rokit 6 MkII
I use my Sansui receiver with Pioneer towers for Live & loud / jam settings, and the KRK for playback / mixing
3) don't use an MP3 player, iTouch or a drum machine. That's why I have the other PC, using JAZZ++ Sequencer (Freeware) and EMU Proteus X2 virtual synth software on the other PC with XMIDI 2X2 interface and SynthFont player

I am also toying with an alternate configuation shown below , where I have

1) the jamman stereo looper hooked up via the aux sends so can loop either guitar, or even the keyboard.

2) the guitar amp as an output device ( rather an an input device). This allows me to
a) 'listen' in a number of ways, ie a full range sound via the AVR, or the 'guitar amp' sound as I am used to
b) avoids the need to mess arraounf with the REC OUT plug ( in and out an in )
c) still allows for a future addtion of powered minitors if I go that route.
d) allows for playing the guitar live wihout recording, ie input 1 through to the amp output, or
e) allows for recording via micing the amp (via input 3 with sub OFF to aovid feedback), or
f) alows for recording when using line recording of the guitar (via input 1)​

Do you see any flaws with this?

mixer-2010-034.jpg

Last edited:
johnnymegabyte -

just wanted to thank you for the info you've been provideding on the mixer. My full setup is shown here - a work in progress !

By the way, got a great deal on the mixer. At LM, it actually went up to $545 CDN or $615 after taxes, so I explored other options. Turns out Musicians Friends had a mega special on Tascams, (its still on) and they are selling it for $299 US!. As well there is a futher 'tirbute to heroes' discount of 10%. So, I ordered it, and it was at my door via UPS in 5 days!

Total cost:
  • Tascam M164-UF: $ 269.99 ( after discount)
  • Delvery: $ $46. 28
  • US Exchange: $19.21
  • UPS Brokerage : $26 (estimate)
  • UPS Collection of GST/PST : $43.62 (estimate)
  • Duty: $13.42 ( estimate)
  • Total: $418.61 at the door.

That about $200 off the local price - and it was zero hassle. Ordered on line and it was at my door in 5 days - sealed box.

Impressive Powerpoint, good luck on working with your setup. You've got enough to do plenty. Where you from (as you mentioned GST etc) ?

Impressive Powerpoint, good luck on working with your setup. You've got enough to do plenty. Where you from (as you mentioned GST etc) ?

1) Thanks. I am north of the GTA.

2) Spoke with UPS today and they tell me all I owe them is $21.90 - sounds too low, but hey, that would make my total landed cost $357.38 CDN at the door. Even if I get dinged for more, it was still a great deal. Musicians Friend is my new friend! This all assumes no future warranty issues of course, but even so, I still have some dollars in there for a future repair if needed.

3) Got garageband to see al the inputs. Will check out Reaper and Cubase LE4in future.

1) Thanks. I am north of the GTA.
I'm in Scarborough

2) Spoke with UPS today and they tell me all I owe them is $21.90 - sounds too low, but hey, that would make my total landed cost $357.38 CDN at the door. Even if I get dinged for more, it was still a great deal. Musicians Friend is my new friend! This all assumes no future warranty issues of course, but even so, I still have some dollars in there for a future repair if needed.
That's $200 cheaper than what I got mine for. Make sure you use good cables, I used balanced cables for the KRK Rokit 6 on the Sub channels. Made a difference.

3) Got garageband to see al the inputs. Will check out Reaper and Cubase LE4in future.
Reaper doesn't grind and eat RAM on your computer, unlike most DAW

I'm in Scarborough
Make sure you use good cables, I used balanced cables for the KRK Rokit 6 on the Sub channels. Made a difference.

1) Is it the cable itself , or the equipment configuration (connector/design) that determines what is balanced vs unbalanced?

2) Can you tell by looking at a cable if it is balanced vs unbalanced?

In the past I've used Rapco, Planet waves, and more recently Live Wire ( package says Made in USA!) I have no idea if the cables are balanced vs unbalanced?

I started reading up on it here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector but got quickly lost !

Can you shed some light?

Balanced is TRS ... The connector's name is an initialism derived from the names of three conducting parts of the plug: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve[1] – hence, TRS.
RCA or standard 1/4" (like a guitar cable) is not

Back