Anyone tried a Fantom?

jo blo

I saw this guy whaling away like mad on a synth at the music store the other day. It was a roland fantom, and the guy told me it would be good for a person like me (guitarist, non-keyboardist) to create with and use in my studio. I tended to agree after he showed me the rather simple user interface and some of the awesome tones, but it's 1800 bucks. Worth it, or go cheaper? I'm very "synth stupid" so be gentle wih the tech stuff heh

thanks for any input

The Fantom is awesome. Check out BPM Music Express for the best on-line prices. That should help with the decision making.

Everything in the Fantom's class destroys it. If you want something like that, check out the Motif by Yamaha. Roland hasn't put anything out worth a crap for years.

Thanks to everyone for the information. F. Lai, what is it about the Yamaha models you prefer that sets them apart or makes them better in your view than the Roland products? I'm not too familiar with Yamaha keyboards, but I hear lots of good things about them. Oh, I also ran across a huge analog synth made by Alesis, called the Andromeda, but I think that animal was about 3500 bucks. LOL It had more knobs than you ever saw on one machine!

jo blo said:
Oh, I also ran across a huge analog synth made by Alesis, called the Andromeda, but I think that animal was about 3500 bucks. LOL It had more knobs than you ever saw on one machine!
I want one of those...Or at least the chance to try one out.

Back