Anyone really sharp on WinXP?

Toki987

Rock Steady
I got a problem and need some medium to large techy help.
I had my machine on, we had a tstorm come over and the powere wnet off momentarily. Now the machine boots to the welcome screen and then the desktop screen comes up without the icons and without the start bar.The only way I can run programs is to run explorer thru the task manager, and go to the desktop dir and pick out the program I want to run. It`s like a startup file is corrupted or something. I`ve tried different restore points. I doooo not wish to do a re-install or repair cause that will mean reinstalling all my programs as well. Anybody know what I can do?

Could be any number of things within the Registry that could have been damaged. Not sure if this will help, but you could try dropping a link to your Explorer.exe within your start-up folder in the start menu (Located at C:\Documents and Settings\"Your User Name Here"\Start Menu\Programs\Startup). Might work?!?!?

I agree, sounds like the registry setting to startup explorer somehow got blown away.

Did you check your event log for clues? Might be a startup issue.

I appreciate your help guys.
neither taskbar, start menu, or program icons show up on the screen at bootup, in normal or in safe mode. I moved the explorer.exe and it didnt help. I noticed that scan disk is not on here anymore and chkdsk will only work in read-only mode. I may have a had a virus missed by 3 programs that came in to play when I booted back up after the power went off. :(
I pointed the 45 at it and it didn't even flinch. :mad:

It grinned at me when I pulled out the XP disk and shook it at it. :o

If I don't see you guys for a while,...

Toki987 said:
I pointed the 45 at it and it didn't even flinch. :mad:

I'll assume you're joking, but I actually had a friend who, shortly after buying a new .45 caliber revolver, aimed it at his also new (very nice) television and "accidentally" shot it! The DUMBASS had it loaded! :eek: :o

thane1200 said:
I'll assume you're joking, but I actually had a friend who, shortly after buying a new .45 caliber revolver, aimed it at his also new (very nice) television and "accidentally" shot it! The DUMBASS had it loaded! :eek: :o

I'll bet the dumbass WAS loaded :)

doing a windows REPAIR from the CD doesn't mean you'll have to reinstall all your programs, they should be ok. All windows does here is do a one on one comparison with the windows files on your drive and the ones on the CD to see what's been corrupted. Your programs will be safe. It's a slow process but well worth it.

yeah XP repair shoudl be fine.

additionally, anyone remember what that command is that you could type in start-run, and it would check and repair any system files? (you'd have to put your XP disc in, though). I can't seem to remember it.

Back